February 2012 Moms
Options

OB is on my bad side!

Ugh! The other day I had my OB appointment at 9:15am and we were going to our elective ultrasound at 12 that same day.  The ultrasound place wanted proof of care with my due date on it. I called my OB office and asked them if I could have the doctor write on a prescription pad that I am under her care and include my due date on the paper.  I got a call back that morning saying they had to reschedule my appointment because the doctor was delivering a baby (I go to a solo practice) and that they asked her and she does not write prescriptions for elective ultrasounds and even prefers that her patients not get elective ultrasounds.

I was not asking for a prescription for the ultrasound... but I just let that go and said Okay.  I went to my ultrasounds, found out it was a boy and that I have an anterior placenta.  I had my appointment at 230 that day. When I told the doctor that we were having a boy and about the placenta she said "All of that will be confirmed at your 20 week ultrasound." She never said congratulations or anything! She acted like the ultrasound I got was done by Joe Schmo off the street.  Then I said, I can feel the baby fluttering around in there, but I'm disappointed it will be longer before we can feel the kicks due to the placenta. Her response was "I HIGHLY doubt what you're feeling right now is the baby, I'd be extremely surprised if it actually was."   

So there is my rant for the day! My OB is great, I work with her and I picked her because I know she is a great doctor, she handles emergencies well, does a beautiful circumcision and is a great patient advocate. I also know how she can be bone dry  in conversation half of the time. But, I was so disappointed she acted like I was such a jackass giving her the information from my U/S!

Re: OB is on my bad side!

• Options
    Wow your OB is a Debbie Downer... what the heck crawled up her butt and died?!  That's not fair that she made you feel like that and wasn't human during your appt.  Is she normally this cold?
    <3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• Options

My OB is the same way.  I really wanted to switch to a practice that had more midwives or NPs so that I didn't have issues like this, but in my area all of the other places are "booked" for a Feb due date so I'm stuck where I'm at.

My OB was also not interested in me having an elective u/s so I just did as I pleased, found out the sex, and DH and I have decided to not discuss it with her.

IMO The solo practices are so overworked, overbooked, and constantly going that they don't seem to really treat their patients as patients, but rather as time slots on an overpacked schedule.  Don't let it ruin your excitement for your baby and remember that you can call a fart movement if you really want to - it's YOUR baby and YOUR body.  If she doesn't want to call it movement, so what?  That's her deal.

And as far as the anterior placenta, I would just wait until your next u/s and when she tells you "oh you have an AP" just shrug and say "I told you that weeks ago, so I'm not supprised".  And leave it at that.  This is your pregnancy, and you shouldn't let her negativity, dryness, or general lack of excitement get in the way of experiencing it the way that you and your DH want to.

Good luck, and know that someone out there has the same type of doctor - but we won't let them pop our balloons!! :P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 5.31.2011 ~*~ Michael Joseph ~*~ BORN 2.8.2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm surprised that she poo pooed your flutters . . . my mw told me yesterday that by 17-18 weeks some of her patients feel flutters, or pokes. By 20 weeks, almost all her patients feel something.

Congrats though on all the good news you found out! That's awesome :)

Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said the same thing when I told her I'd been feeling the baby before my 16-week appt!  She said, "No, it's just gas."  Not "probably not", not "it's possible, but unlikely", just "no"...wtf?!  This isn't my first pony show (or whatever the saying is) and I know what it feels like to have a baby move in my uterus!!  I'm sorry you had the same experience.  I think doctors forget they're talking to people and not just bodies when they get too busy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's bad enough that random people make dumb comments to piss off moms-to-be...but for your doc to be such a downer....wow.  I hope you are able to keep your cheer even though she wasn't able to share in that with you.  My doc seemed disapointed for me that I wasn't able to feel anything from the baby yet and her enthusiasm is what makes me happy when I leave appts.  Doctors may be busy but they have no excuse to take that joy away from you...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"