Trouble TTC
Options

Acupuncture

I've heard so many great things about acupuncture related to fertility and have a few questions for anyone that has done it.

We are diagnosed MFI. ?Would it still be beneficial to me to do acupuncture to help with our treatments??

Do you find it to relax you or does it add more stress to the number of appointments that you have to go to?

What has your overall experience been like??

TTC #1 since 09/10
Me: 32 DH: 34
5/17/11 SA- count 38 mil, low motility, traces of white blood cells (2 weeks antibiotics)
6/16/11 SA- count 23 mil, low motility, referred to urologist
dx varicocele
DH ultrasound
6/27/11 SA- count 101 mil, 36% motility, 5% morphology
IUI #1 50 mg Clomid: Back -2- back: 7/27/11 & 7/28/11 = BFN
IUI #2 100 mg Clomid: Back -2- back: 8/25/11 & 8/26/11= BFN
IVF #1(Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur) ER 11/16/11,ET 11/21/11= BFP 11/29
P/SAIF Welcome
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Acupuncture

• Options

Our dx is unexplained. I went to 1 acupuncture appt 2 months ago. It was very relaxing (I fell asleep on the table) and I would love to make it a regular thing. However, even just going 1x per week would quickly add up to a nice chunk of change, and I just couldn't justify it.

Although I don't think acu on you would help MFI, it certainly wouldn't hurt in terms of relaxing you and priming your body to be in the best shape possible for your treatment cycles. And especially if you have insurance coverage or discounts, it's definitely worth it.

My advice would be to shop around for an acupuncturist that specializes in IF, try it once or twice, and see how you feel about it. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went for 4 months every week. I found it relaxing. It obviously didn't help me get KU because I am still here. Towards the end I got tired of going. I would do it again, my insurance ran out on it until the new year.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Would you ever be able to get YH to go? I have found studies that suggest that acu can increase sperm count and motility in men with MFI if they get treatment.

We are also MFI and I do go -- acu has helped thicken my lining, lengthen my LP, and lessen my PMS which is a very nice side benefit.  But MH goes too, and his count went from 300K to 3 mill while on acu.  It could have just been a fluke, but we're having another SA in 2 weeks so we'll see. 

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options

I just started acupuncture about two weeks ago.  I was very skeptical about the whole thing at first.  But I can honestly say I think it has helped a lot.  I have been way more relaxed and my mood has improved significantly. I am also doing it to treat lower back pain and its helped with that too.  That being said I cant say if it has helped with IF overall yet because we are not doing any other treatments right now. 

I am also doing a diet/cleanse and on about 9 supllements trying to get healthier overall.    I will admit its a bit much.  I go three times a week and am there for two hours.  So it makes my schedule a little crazy.  My insurance covers most of it though, so I dont have that stressor.   

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are strictly MFI at this point, but I am still going to use acu during my IVF cycle, just for the stress relief if nothing else.  
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options

If your husband could go, that would be the best, but you could benefit from it too.

I find it to be VERY relaxing and I look forward to it every week. I really like my acupuncturist and I feel like since I see her so often, she is more in tune with my body than my OB/RE docs.

I go weekly. I asked to go at times where I'm not taking personal time off from work to make the appointments, so usually I go right after work, in the evening. I specifically looked for a person who had evening and weekends open for appointments. My acupuncturist is very flexible so if I have a conflict I can usually get in another time that day or the next day.

I've been going for a full cycle and I think there have been some small improvements to my cycle, but mostly I agree with the PP who said their mood and outlook improved. I am hoping to continue for 2 more cycles and then reassess where I'm at and if more acupuncture would be beneficial.

I am not a needle person and I've passed out before when getting my blood drawn, this is SO different than that. Most of the time you barely barely feel them and if you do, it's just zingy for a minute and then it settles down. I am a bit squeamish and kind of a chicken, and even I love it.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Options
    I love it! I started going for back problems, then it moved into infertility treatment. I find it to be incredibly relaxing. It is pricey, but I am a very anxious/stress-prone person, so it's totally worth the price to me.
    TTC since 11/09
    me: 39 DH: 36  
    dx: unexplained (ugh) 

January 2011 - December 2012: 4 cycles w/Clomid; 9 IUIs w/Follistim & Menopur;  two IVF cycles converted to IUI (poor response/dominant follicle) 

August 2014 IVF (antagonist protocol: Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix, dexamethasone): 13 eggs, 9 mature, 8 fertilized w/ICSI; 0 frozen, 3 transferred day 5 = BFN

October 2014 IVF (micro-lupron protocol: mircrolupron, Menopur, Follistim, dexamethasone): 8 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI; 3 transferred day 3 = BFP! Beta 1=121; Beta 2=287; Beta 3 =678. Miscarriage @ 8w2d. :(
  • Options
    Thank you so much!! ?MH said that he would go if I really wanted him to, but I don't think that he would really enjoy it. ?I'm going to try it out for a while and see if it's worth the expense. ?Maybe he will come with me later on. ?
    TTC #1 since 09/10
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    5/17/11 SA- count 38 mil, low motility, traces of white blood cells (2 weeks antibiotics)
    6/16/11 SA- count 23 mil, low motility, referred to urologist
    dx varicocele
    DH ultrasound
    6/27/11 SA- count 101 mil, 36% motility, 5% morphology
    IUI #1 50 mg Clomid: Back -2- back: 7/27/11 & 7/28/11 = BFN
    IUI #2 100 mg Clomid: Back -2- back: 8/25/11 & 8/26/11= BFN
    IVF #1(Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur) ER 11/16/11,ET 11/21/11= BFP 11/29
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"