February 2012 Moms

How to tell work?

I am 14+ weeks pregnant, and I just started working a new job (I'm a nurse) at a new hospital just in July. I don't know when or how to tell people at work. I feel kinda stressed by this and well overwhelmed by the new job. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: How to tell work?

• Tell them when you're ready. That's what I do.  I'm coming up on 16 weeks and I probably won't tell for as long as I can conceivably get away with it.

I wish I wore scrubs to work, that makes it a lot easier!  My sister didn't tell with her first until like 5-6 months and no one could tell, she just wore baggy scrubs.  

They will understand.  People get pregnant all the time. 

• Thanks. I kind of wanted to wait awhile. I know people get pregnant all the time. The funny thing is that there are several nurses pregnant at this time, but they have worked at this hospital for years. I am a little worried about FMLA because by the time I give birth I will be still less than a year and not have FMLA coverage.
  • Loading the player...
  • I told my work as soon as I found out.  I am a server and have to lift a lot of trays full of heavy plates.  I wanted to take it really easy the first trimester.  Plus with me being as sick as I was...I wanted them to know I had a legit reason :)
    -Liss EED (Estimated Eviction Date): February 18th, 17th, 21st and now the 14th. Who knows...they change the date every appointment! BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~February 2012~Siggy Challenge~Favorite Halloween Candy~
    My Sometimes Updated Belly Blog
  • imageromauyan:
    Thanks. I kind of wanted to wait awhile. I know people get pregnant all the time. The funny thing is that there are several nurses pregnant at this time, but they have worked at this hospital for years. I am a little worried about FMLA because by the time I give birth I will be still less than a year and not have FMLA coverage.

I'm in your same situation (minus the scrubs).  I started a new job in May and my due date is exactly 9 months after my first day.  I am also not eligible for FMLA because of this.  This was the main reason I told my boss when I did (at 14 weeks).  We were able to sit down and figure out how my maternity leave would work.  She was kind and understanding which made the situation much less stressful, but I cried when I told her because I was so nervous about it all.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageorourjes:

imageromauyan:
    Thanks. I kind of wanted to wait awhile. I know people get pregnant all the time. The funny thing is that there are several nurses pregnant at this time, but they have worked at this hospital for years. I am a little worried about FMLA because by the time I give birth I will be still less than a year and not have FMLA coverage.

I'm in your same situation (minus the scrubs).  I started a new job in May and my due date is exactly 9 months after my first day.  I am also not eligible for FMLA because of this.  This was the main reason I told my boss when I did (at 14 weeks).  We were able to sit down and figure out how my maternity leave would work.  She was kind and understanding which made the situation much less stressful, but I cried when I told her because I was so nervous about it all. 

I will join the new job club/stress about telling work. I most likely got pregnant the day I started work ? just based on my temps and what the CBEFM said plus some mental math.

While I was super excited to finally get pregnant, I was just sick to my stomach about the timing and having to tell work (a place where seriously nobody has kids).

I told my boss 2 weeks ago (after my 90 day probationary period was up). My boss was in shock and it was definitely an awkward conversation, but all is good now and I'm so glad I got it out of the way. We haven't discussed the February game plan, but there is time for that later.

My office is too small to qualify for FMLA, so all maternity leave falls under short-term disability, which definitely works in my favor.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • I'm in the new job, not covered by FMLA as well.  It is stressful and I haven't told my bosses yet but I am planning to around 18-19 weeks.  I have no intension of telling people before I'm ready & happy to be sharing.  I want my husband and I to have a better grasp on our budget and look at how much time we can plan to take.  In addition, I'd like to plan out my return to work some so that I have some helpful ideas- my job "allows" 6 weeks leave but my midwife suggested taking as much time as they will allow and I am hoping to be given 2 months (or at least 8 weeks) even though it is unpaid. 
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since 3-2008: v/c repair 2009; BFP: 7-2010, m/c 8-2010, c/p 4-2011, BFP: 6-2011 EDD: 2-12-2012?
    "Lovebugs2012"
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Today I am pregnant & I love my baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"