Breastfeeding

how long can u leave BM out?

My pediatrician said we can leave breastmilk out (room temp) for 24 hours because breastmilk has lots of antibodies, etc.  I am baffled as I swear the nurses at the hospital said 4 hours...does anyone know?

Isn't there a general rule for leaving bm out, refridgeration times and freezer times?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how long can u leave BM out?

• I just took a BF class with a board certified LC and she said 12 hours.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I just printed it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got 4 different sets of info just in the stuff the hospital sent me home with. Like everything else with pumping, it's subjective. I EP'd and would bring all my overnight bottles to bed with me, had no problems in my 72-76 degree house keeping them for 9 hours or so.

I have "lost" breastmilk that has sat out for 18-24 hours (usually to be found under the crib or car seat), and you can smell it is bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable risking that on purpose.

Most of the "sources" seem to say between 7-9 hours is fine at a comfortable room temp. 

I'm also noticing that frozen milk is more fragile, must be because it's already broken down some -  by 12 hours out it's stinky.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"