Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bumper Pads?

I recently was told that I cannot put the bumper pads on the crib that comes with our bed set.  Is this true?  It is harmful for a baby to have them in the crib in case the baby rolls or smashes themselves up against the sides.  However, its also dangerous not to have them in the crib, for the babies head could get caught between the bars!!! AHHHHH what to do!?!?!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bumper Pads?

• imageWoodsie:

The space between the bars of my crib is 2 inches. I sincerely hope my child's head is not small enough to get caught between the bars (although that would be nice for delivery).  

Bumpers are thought to be a suffocation and/or SIDS risk. Infants who can't yet roll over could get their faces pressed up against the bumpers, not be able to move away, and suffocate. The risk of SIDS is apparently higher when bumper pads are used as well (something about air circulation).

Some people choose to still use bumper pads despite the risks, some won't use them at all, some get "breathable" pads, and some will not use them until baby is strong enough to move his/her face away from the bumper on their own, and then put them on to prevent arms/legs from getting stuck. If you don't use bumpers, your greatest risk is a bump on the head or a stuck arm or leg. I think most of us would agree they would rather deal with a bruise than a baby dying of SIDS/suffocation.

Personally, I am in the "wait and see" camp. I got a bumper pad as part of my bedding set, but will not use it until SIDS/suffocation risk is much lower, and only if we're having constant issues with bumps, bruises and getting limbs stuck.

Ditto, word for word.  LO has gotten his leg stuck once (I was in the bathroom at the time, he was awake)  So he had a bruise and I felt terribly about it, but I still don't think he needs bumpers. 

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • imageWoodsie:

The space between the bars of my crib is 2 inches. I sincerely hope my child's head is not small enough to get caught between the bars (although that would be nice for delivery).  

Bumpers are thought to be a suffocation and/or SIDS risk. Infants who can't yet roll over could get their faces pressed up against the bumpers, not be able to move away, and suffocate. The risk of SIDS is apparently higher when bumper pads are used as well (something about air circulation).

Some people choose to still use bumper pads despite the risks, some won't use them at all, some get "breathable" pads, and some will not use them until baby is strong enough to move his/her face away from the bumper on their own, and then put them on to prevent arms/legs from getting stuck. If you don't use bumpers, your greatest risk is a bump on the head or a stuck arm or leg. I think most of us would agree they would rather deal with a bruise than a baby dying of SIDS/suffocation.

Personally, I am in the "wait and see" camp. I got a bumper pad as part of my bedding set, but will not use it until SIDS/suffocation risk is much lower, and only if we're having constant issues with bumps, bruises and getting limbs stuck.

Yep, this.

Honestly, at first I was all "Bumpers are the devil!", especially since there are cities and states trying to ban the sell of them because of the suffocation risk (not just SIDS risk), but they came with our bedding set and I am keeping them in case we choose to use them if LO keeps getting hurt from not having them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We're planning on having the baby in a bassinet for the first few months, so she will not be in her crib right away.  I understand the risks of suffocation and SIDS and wouldn't want her to be at risk.  I'm going to put them on the crib for decoration, and once she actually begins using the crib the pad will not longer be in the crib.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • imageWoodsie:

Hahahaha!! Well said.

We bought an inexpensive bedding set from Target. It was $50 for a quilt, bumpers, skirt, sheet, and two valances. It's not the most elegant thing in the world, but really it's a kids room. He'll want something else in a few years and we'll get something nicer. He's stuck with blue and green dots until he's in a big bed.

We use the quilt for laying on the floor (my house is all hardwood and tile) and he can use it for bedtime when he's older. The skirt, sheet and valances are currently being used. I just bought a few more basic sheets because 1 sheet for a baby is laughable. The bumpers are in the closet. I might put them on when DS is older. As in, when we convert the crib to the toddler bed. The bumpers are 4 separate pieces instead of the gigantic bumper snake, so I can just use the side and back pieces.

• You are going to be a parent, I can't imagine who this is who would tell you what you cannot do with your own baby, though people certainly have opinions.  All that PP have said is true, and we don't plan to use bumpers given the risk outweighs the benefit for us.  I would suggest it's worth doing some research on all the products that you are planning to use with your child.  GL.

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Even if you do decide to use them, it won't be long untill you have to take them out because LO is using them as a leg up to crawl out of the crib.  I suggest you do some research on the risks and make an informed decision.

image'>image

• bumpers increase the risk for SIDDS, I'd talk to your pediatrician or ob about it. we aren't planning on using them
  • Breathable bumpers only!  DH is a police officer and every year at training the Medical Examiner reinforces that bumpers and sleeping with your baby are the two biggest no-nos, that was enough to scare us. 
  • we have a breathable bumper and it's great. it allows for air circulation in his crib but also cushions it when at about 2am he scootches to the top and starts repeatedly banging his head against the crib as he tries to scootch his way right out of the crib.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"