February 2012 Moms
Options

how do you handle stress?

I work at a VERY stressful job, normally I do great with the stress, I have methods I use to help me relieve the stress, exercising, leaving work at work, pictures on my desk that remind me to relax and a great support system. I have "me" time after work to clear my brain of my day and I have to tell myself I did the best I could do for that day and move on...

Let me give you what info I can about my job, I am a social worker. Needless to say I am often placed in situations where I have to make life altering decisions for my clients, which in turn can lead to bad feelings from families, threats ect. I have a great support system and safety system  through work that takes care of this but I still get stressed about it now that I am pregnant.

The last few days have been particularly hard and the old stress relievers arent cutting it with the added stress of pregnancy. I worry about my stress harming baby, even though doctor isnt concerned, I am.

How do you handle stress? I am open to try new stress busters!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how do you handle stress?

• Options

First of all, I admire you. I'm not a social worker, nor do I have plans to become one, but I took an "intro to social work" course at my college just because it's something that really interests me. :) (Psychology/social work/sociology... all so fascinating!) I have a much better idea than I did previously of how demanding a social worker's job can be and a much greater admiration/appreciation of what they do. I cannot IMAGINE how much harder it would be while pregnant. 

Stress: I journal a lot. Occasionally I take bubble baths. I go for long walks (or short walks). I go to a stream/river/creek/lake and just sit. I wander around Barnes and Noble and look at cookbooks. (Most of these are just my personal taste.) I might make myself a cup of tea or hot chocolate. I hug my husband. :) Sometimes I just walk away and come back to face whatever it is that is stressing me later. I avoid overeating/spending money/doing anything that will add to my stress later. I make a list of three things that I need to do and only focus on those three things for the day. You probably already do this every single day anyway, but I try to help others and shift the focus away from myself. If you're burnt out, that's probably not such a good way to relieve stress. ;) 

I don't think any of my ideas are "new" but I hope they help and I hope you can find ways to alleviate your stress soon. You're doing two incredibly important jobs at the same time. :) 

It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I admire you too.  As a nurse I think my job is pretty stressful, but when things are really bad we have to call you so...yeah stressful.  I have noticed I worry a lot more now that I'm pregnant.  Reading helps me and like PP said bubble baths.  I am a HUGE fan of bubble baths.  I also thing getting together with other people who understand what you go through helps.  Are there any social workers you can grab a bite with?  I like to get together with fellow nurses for lunch and pedicures. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"