Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Food intolerance, virus, or random barf (also posted on Food Allergy)

Last weekend I fed my LO a new food (pork, mixed with some other foods she's already had).  About 5 hours later she projectile vomited everywhere.  She didn't barf again and seemed to feel better shortly after the incident.  I'm trying to figure out if she has some sort of bizarre intolerance to pork, or if she had a virus or just randomly barfed for no reason.

What would you do?  Throw out the rest of the pork?  Try again?  Logically, I think I should try again just to figure out whether it is an intolerance but do not want to clean up barf again.   I've never heard of a pork intolerance, but still, it was a lot of barf.  A lot.  Everywhere.  And barf makes me barf. 

Re: Food intolerance, virus, or random barf (also posted on Food Allergy)

• imageFoodieMama:

Last weekend I fed my LO a new food (pork, mixed with some other foods she's already had).  About 5 hours later she projectile vomited everywhere.  She didn't barf again and seemed to feel better shortly after the incident.  I'm trying to figure out if she has some sort of bizarre intolerance to pork, or if she had a virus or just randomly barfed for no reason.

What would you do?  Throw out the rest of the pork?  Try again?  Logically, I think I should try again just to figure out whether it is an intolerance but do not want to clean up barf again.   I've never heard of a pork intolerance, but still, it was a lot of barf.  A lot.  Everywhere.  And barf makes me barf. 

I'd toss the pork just bc I'm paranoid like that. But, with 5 hours in between, I'd be more likely to assume a random barf. Try again in a week or two and hope for the best.

• Mine has been doing that a couple of times in the past few days but it's all with food he's had tons of times.  He's not a big meat eater so this was just hummus and crackers, spinach and then some yogurt for dessert.  He ate fine then an hour later barfed all over the place 4 times.  But it didn't seem to bother him at all.

I have heard of people being allergic to pork but I don't know what the details were.  But if it were me I would not feed the pork.  I don't know what I'm going to do because my DS eats hummus all the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Five hours is way to long for it to be an allergy. Projectile vomiting from an allergy happens within minutes. Five hours later, if she is allergic, she would be gassy and/or have diarrhea.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageTapDancingLlamas:
    Five hours is way to long for it to be an allergy. Projectile vomiting from an allergy happens within minutes. Five hours later, if she is allergic, she would be gassy and/or have diarrhea.

Not true.  My boy projectile vomitted as part of an allergic reaction 2 hours after eating.  We are positive it was part of his reaction as he had hives and a low pulse-ox.  We ended up spending the night in the hospital. 

But I agree that 5 hours later and with no other symptoms sounds like random barf to me.

I would however toss the pork and wait to try pork again when you are not home alone in case there is a reaction.

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"