Breastfeeding
Options

Strong Preference for One Breast

My son is almost 15 weeks old and has been EBF since birth.  He's always been a really great eater.  In the beginning, he had a preference for the left breast, but over time, he stopped having a preference.  A month or so ago, he started to prefer the right breast.  It wasn't a big deal, my right boob was just a lot bigger in the mornings.  He would still eat on both sides though.  I started to feed him in a pattern of once on the right, twice on the left, to even them out.  This plan worked for a bit.  The past week, however, he is almost refusing the left breast.  He will eat there for about five minutes then pull off and get very fussy.  Once I put him on the right, he calms down and eats his fill.  The only exception is first thing in the morning, when he'll eat for a longer period on the left.

I know that he's getting enough to eat, because he still gives me the same amount of poopy and wet diapers.  My only concern is that I will loose my supply in the left breast.  It is also frustrating at night when he is very fussy, and after draining the right breast, wants more right then, but doesn't want the left side.  I've tried pumping a few times to up the supply, but I barely get any milk.  If anyone has any advice or has been through this before, please let me know!  I'm considering making an appointment with my doctor, but I thought I would ask here first.  Thank you!

Re: Strong Preference for One Breast

• Options
    Have you tried a different hold.  I always used the football hold and then she started to have a preference.  I changed to the cradle for the opposite breast and she was fine.  I think had something to do with the way she felt in that position.
  • Options

imageMrsJWeaver:
    Have you tried a different hold.  I always used the football hold and then she started to have a preference.  I changed to the cradle for the opposite breast and she was fine.  I think had something to do with the way she felt in that position.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  I would give it a try to see if it helps. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageQmommy:

imageMrsJWeaver:

I was going to suggest the same thing.  I would give it a try to see if it helps. 

I used to switch back and forth from both cradle and football, but stopped that a while ago.  I usually just go with the cradle hold now.  I have tried switching to football a few times when he's gotten fussy but with no results.  Next time he eats, I'll try it out first rather than as a last resort to see if he's happier.  Thanks for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"