High-Risk Pregnancy

Steroid Shots for baby's lungs?

For the ladies that had steroid shots, when did you get them and why?

I've been in pre term labor twice now (24 w, 33 w) and they haven't done steroids.  Im 1-2 cm dilated at only 33 weeks and I am wondering why they haven't done them yet just in case the baby decides to make an early entrance?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Steroid Shots for baby's lungs?

• I had my first shots at 26 wks I have a lot of complications but mainly I think they gave it to me cause my cl was shortning due to contractions and it was already short with cerclage.
  • I got the shots at 26w when my cervix was shortening. I think I've heard that after 32w, they don't do the shots b/c they are less effective (but I could have that wrong).
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekafunder:
    I got the shots at 26w when my cervix was shortening. I think I've heard that after 32w, they don't do the shots b/c they are less effective (but I could have that wrong).

It's 34 weeks unless your bag of water is broken in which case it's 32 weeks.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I had them at 26 weeks due to shortened cervix and some contrax.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Josiah James

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Naomi Rose

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got them at 24 weeks because of a shortened cervix.  I am at 26 weeks now and they mentioned that I would get a "rescue" shot at 30 weeks if I don't have the triplets by then,

Adalynn, Brynn and Elena born October 13th, 2011! They were our triplet surprise and everyday is a blessing. Brynn Victoria was born 3lbs 7oz 16", Adalynn Louise born 3lbs 6oz 16 3/4" and Elena Marie born 3lbs 10oz.
  • I had them at 31 weeks. I have placenta previa and was in the hospital with bleeding. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After the 3rd time in preterm labor with a positive ffn, I got mine at I believe 27/29 weeks. You get two rounds of shots and they hurt like a ***, I'm not going to lie.

• When where you diagnosed with Placenta Previa. I am 16w just diagnosed with PP and I had heavy bleeding that has stop. Baby is great with strong heartbeat and lots of little kicks.
  • imageauroralucas:
    When where you diagnosed with Placenta Previa. I am 16w just diagnosed with PP and I had heavy bleeding that has stop. Baby is great with strong heartbeat and lots of little kicks.

I was diagnosed with complete previa at 18 weeks. My first bleeding incident was at 31 weeks when I ended up in the hospital. I've been having ultrasounds every 4 weeks. No movement at all until my 31 week ultrasound. I now have only partial previa. Last ultrasound is on Friday. Hoping for no more previa so I don't have to have a c section!

Good luck to you! 

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • good luck to you to. It is a partial right now and I will send you positive thoughts on friday so that previa is gone.
  • 24 weeks.  I have an incompetant cervix and dilated at 19 and 21 weeks (without and with a cerclage).  So dr thought the baby would be coming early.  He said I'd probably have another round of them too.  But I'm 28 weeks and things are looking much better now.  I would also wonder why they haven't suggested them to you.  I would ask about baby's needs should you go into preterm labor again and it can't be stopped, specifically ask about the shots if they still don't mention them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I received the shots at 26 weeks when I was admitted for shortened and funneling cervix with contractions. Like PP said, they are very painful injections, but the burn only lasted about 30 minutes. They are given in a series of 2 that must be within 24 hours apart and need about 24 hours each to truly be effective.

My MFM is also planning on giving me a second round this Friday when according to the u/s measurements he says I will be 30 w 1 d (I need to adjust my ticker.) He's told me that the injections don't last forever and it's recommended to repeat the series 4 weeks after the first, if possible.

Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• imagecottonlily84:
    24 weeks.  I have an incompetant cervix and dilated at 19 and 21 weeks (without and with a cerclage).  So dr thought the baby would be coming early.  He said I'd probably have another round of them too.  But I'm 28 weeks and things are looking much better now.  I would also wonder why they haven't suggested them to you.  I would ask about baby's needs should you go into preterm labor again and it can't be stopped, specifically ask about the shots if they still don't mention them. 

I'm thinking three reasons... the first is that I am 33 weeks already so I am getting close to not needing them.  I did have a negative FFN.  Also, I am diabetic and the more I read, the more I learn that it really shoots your blood sugar up and can be dangerous for diabetics.  So... maybe that's why?  I have an appt tomorrow and will definitely discuss!

• imageJennlovesAustin:

[I'm thinking three reasons... the first is that I am 33 weeks already so I am getting close to not needing them.  I did have a negative FFN.  Also, I am diabetic and the more I read, the more I learn that it really shoots your blood sugar up and can be dangerous for diabetics.  So... maybe that's why?  I have an appt tomorrow and will definitely discuss!

yep, all of that...esp. the diabetes part.  I have GD and was just in the hospital for possible pre-e and they told me they really didn't want to give me the shot b/c it would mess my sugars up so badly.  

good luck!!  

imageimage

• When i was pregnant with the twins, my water broke at 32 weeks, 4 days.  I was given the steroid shots immediately.  I honestly believe they are the reason why both babies came out breathing on their own and had a limited stay in the NICU with NO breathing problems.  I would be highly advocating for the steriod shots if i were you!
  • imageLucyRicardo3:

I received the shots at 26 weeks when I was admitted for shortened and funneling cervix with contractions. Like PP said, they are very painful injections, but the burn only lasted about 30 minutes. They are given in a series of 2 that must be within 24 hours apart and need about 24 hours each to truly be effective.

My MFM is also planning on giving me a second round this Friday when according to the u/s measurements he says I will be 30 w 1 d (I need to adjust my ticker.) He's told me that the injections don't last forever and it's recommended to repeat the series 4 weeks after the first, if possible.

Good luck!

That's actually extremely controversial to repeat the course of steroids.  Much of the literature says to not repeat them because it can be more harmful than helpful.  With that being said, there is zero good literature about steroids and twin pregnancies, so it's all really the judgment of the medical professionals. 

Despite knowing the literature is vague for twins I begged for them.  I was never a candidate.  My son born at 36 weeks was in the NICU for a week for RDS.  His lungs are still bad; he was back in the hospital with RSV for a week at 6 months.  His pedis each time (right after birth and at 6 months) were upset they didn't receive steroids.  As a doc mommy, I was really pissed that they made it seem like it was my fault or failure as a parent that my kid didn't get them.

So there you have it.  Pedi's always always want steroids.  OB's try to keep with the literature and give them when indicated.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"