Baby Showers
Options

Food-opinions?

My sister has graciously offered to throw a shower for me.  She is tossing around the idea of a taco bar instead of the typical "shower" food.  She would have the meat and then a ton of different toppings and chips for everyone to make their own taco salad type thing.  I was concerned it might be kind of messy but she doesn't think it'll be too bad.

Thoughts? 

Re: Food-opinions?

• Options

I am totally biased b/c tacos are one of my biggest cravings right now, so to me this sounds amazing!!!! LOL

But I do see how it could get messy, especially if people come even somewhat dressed up.

I think as long as this is not your ONLY food option available, it would be a fun touch.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Do you like tacos Daisy?  It's certainly not traditional, but it doesn't have to be, and if you like them, go for it. Taco salads don't have to be messy and she can do things like quesadillas and flautas as well.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds good to me!! I'd provide both hard and soft taco's, though. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I'm biased too because I love tacos.

Do you know if everyone attending likes tacos?

If it was my shower, I'd have to have other options available. My dad and step-mom don't eat "ethinic food" (yes, they're idiots) so they wouldn't touch tacos. My husband has GERD and isn't supposed to eat spicy food. His best friend has a stomach ulcer and can't eat such things. Not to mention, when I was pregnant anything spicy was just gross to me, so I wouldn't have been able to eat them either.

• Options
    I think it's fine - nontraditional, as you said, but fine.  The only thing I would recommend is having both beef and turkey, or one meat and one tofu.  So many people don't eat red meat, and you may have vegetarians in your crowd as well.
  • Options

imageLiz4444:
    Do you like tacos Daisy?  It's certainly not traditional, but it doesn't have to be, and if you like them, go for it. Taco salads don't have to be messy and she can do things like quesadillas and flautas as well.

I do!  And I think most people coming also like tacos, cheese quesadillas would be a good option to have also for people who don't eat meat.

• Options
    Here is an idea also, you guys can have baked potatoes.  That would be perfect for those that don't want meat.  We had this at a womens retreat, with all of the same toppings. And we chose if we wanted taco salad or loaded baked potato.  Some women put taco meat on their potatoes.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did this for my son's 1st birthday party and it was super fun.  I was not too messy at all and everyone attending likes tacos, so it worked.  We also had chips and nacho toppings if people wanted to not have tacos and wanted nachos instead.  It is not really traditional, but non traditional can sometimes be a good thing.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I say go for it. I've attended a shower where they did a potato bar and it worked out great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options

Yum!

Be sure she includes a variety of beans and veggies should someone not want meat.

Forks and lots of napkins would be good too! 

• Options

thanks ladies!  Glad to hear others have done this before, I just envisioned a huge mess but I think it'll work out.  

I think it'll be something fun instead of the typical shower food. 

• Options
    ITA with being biased, we had tacos twice a week while I was pg. If you're worried about mess, how about taco salad? They can eat with a fork from a bowl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Formerly Je*lastname*. Started a new account because I couldn't get my SN changed to something less personal.
  • Options
    I am a believer in "this is your shower so do as you want" if it is not something you are comfortable with, then by all means tell her this, just be sensitive to her feelings when doing so. Otherwise, I don't see the harm in non-traditional ideas, but i can certainly see how it could get messy, especially if kids are attending. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Maybe, to add an option for guests who feel a regular taco would be too messy, your sister could offer walking tacos as well. Bring a few snack bags of Fritos and let the guests but their taco toppings inside the bag. Shake it up and eat it with a fork. YUMM!! (I think we will be having tacos for dinner tonight now too :o)
    Anniversary Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I think it sounds like a great idea. I don't think tacos are too messy -- tacos are like "finger foods" and nachos would work good too. Sounds fun - go for it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageKTWag10:
    Maybe, to add an option for guests who feel a regular taco would be too messy, your sister could offer walking tacos as well. Bring a few snack bags of Fritos and let the guests but their taco toppings inside the bag. Shake it up and eat it with a fork. YUMM!! (I think we will be having tacos for dinner tonight now too :o)

I don't even like fritos but that sounds SOOOO good!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imageKTWag10:

What the...

i am putting this idea on paper so I can go to the sto' and get some of this. 

• Options
    I did this for my sister's Bridal shower actually and it was a huge hit! So, I'm all for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would be quite excited if I went to a shower with a taco bar (lol).
    My Blog
    We love and miss you Jillian (18w) and Peanut (6w). Welcome to our TAC miracle Jacob!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"