Austin Babies

baby signing

have recs for books and/or dvds? Smile i noticed baby signs dvds are on baby half off today...

Re: baby signing

• I think baby signing time is amazing.  V learned a lot of signs from them.  We've only watched the second time a few times, and haven't watched it at all in probably two months.  Then all of a sudden, she's pulling out signs from there.  Like, for example, we've never given her juice.  But I made some juice to make popsicles from and we had some leftover that I gave her for breakfast yesterday.  In the afternoon, she started signing juice even though it's a sign we've never used and she had no reason to. 
    Photo by Melissa Glynn
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The Baby Einstein My First Signs DVD is a good one.  Also, if you have an iPhone, there is a great app, but it's a little pricey at $4.99 (I think).  It's called ASL Baby Signs or something like that.  Other than that, I think I learned the basic signs from googling some baby signing websites (but I can't remember what they were).

ETA:  Totally forgot to mention the show Signing Time.  It comes on PBS (KLRU in Austin) on Fridays at noon, I think but I know you live in CS so not sure if you get the same PBS station.  Anyway, if you find it on your local PBS, you can DVR them and watch them whenever - each episode has a different theme and teaches between 8-10 different signs within that theme.  So it might not be something you want to start off with, because you can never tell which signs will be taught.  For example, if you want to start teaching your DS the basics like milk, momma, dadda, drink, sleep, eat, etc, this show might have too much extraneous information for you right now.  I do remember watching it with DS when he was around 8-9 months, but then it stopped coming on because they ran out of funding or something.  It came back about a year ago or something so we started DVRing it again, and DS LOVES it now and can pick up most of the signs pretty quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • We have this one that is barely used, which are you welcome to have for free:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R3441G

I bought it when we still had the nanny, and we just never used it consistently.  Now she is learning signing at daycare so I haven't really seen a need for it.

I'm happy to mail it to you if you want.  Just email me at a underscore hardison at yahoo dot com.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSlobina:

We have this one that is barely used, which are you welcome to have for free:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R3441G

I bought it when we still had the nanny, and we just never used it consistently.  Now she is learning signing at daycare so I haven't really seen a need for it.

I'm happy to mail it to you if you want.  Just email me at a underscore hardison at yahoo dot com.

that's sweet of you! i will totally take you up on that. YGM!

• We did Baby Signing Time (only the 1st DVD) and DD loved it.  I was too lazy to get the other DVDs but I'm sure she would have learned so much from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"