December 2010 Moms

s/o x-mas

I know it's a little early for me to be worrying about Christmas.  I have a list started with ideas on what to get the kids this year for x-mas and their birthdays (all 5 of my kids have birthdays between late November and early February).  I have absolutely no idea what to get Isaac.  I think he's going to end up with a box of diapers, wipes and a book - seriously.  Any ideas on what to get a 1yo little boy when we already have tons of things for little kids? What are you thinking about getting your LOs this year?

Re: s/o x-mas

• imagejmm881:

I'm sure if you have tons of toys - the things you mentioned for him to unwrap would be fine! I'm guessing the paper and boxes will be a bigger hit! 

Or you ou can wrap up old toys for him to unwrap? 

I agree...at age 1 the kid doesn't care that much. They just want to have a fun time. You should wrap up some old toys and/or have him unwrap the diapers. There is no point to adding stuff to your household if you already have plenty of toys and clothes from the older kids.

That being said, when he's a little bit older I think it's important for him to have some stuff that's really his. But I think that will be easy because he will start asking for specific things, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a ride on toy that she will probably get for her birthday and last night, we discussed getting one of those convertible tricycles that starts out where you can push it, and then eventually they can ride it themselves.  We'll probably get her that and nothing else, toy-wise.  MAYBE a sand and water table (I've heard you can use it indoors with rice and it's not as messy as sand) for next summer.  We'll see.
    Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe a customized book? Sandra Boynton has one that I was looking at

https://www.sandraboynton.com/sboynton/Are%20You%20A%20Cow%20Custom%20Board%20book.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejmm881:

I'm sure if you have tons of toys - the things you mentioned for him to unwrap would be fine! I'm guessing the paper and boxes will be a bigger hit! 

This!  My parents did this with my sis and I once when we were little and we had a grand ol' time opening everything up.  I don't even remember it firsthand, but there's a picture of us doing it.  At one year, your LO isn't going to remember what he got, save for any pictures you take of him.

We are playing around with ideas.  DH wants to create a little play area for LO in the basement, so he wants to get one of those padded gym things, sort of like a mini at-home Gymboree.  I kind of want to get LO a little stuffed chair.  We've also talked about getting a little rocking horse.  The kid already has too many toys and will probably receive any more, so we're trying to avoid buying him toys.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am planning on giving L some books, possibly an Elefun ball popper, and clothes. Diapers and wipes would be good... I might also get sippy cups for the 12mo+ age. That way it's "fun" but still very, very practical.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• i think we are going to do a small rocking horse or push toy for either birthday or christmas, and that will be all.  also, if we do a stocking, its going to be filled with practical stuff.  diaper cream, sunscreen, snacks, socks, etc.  i am guessing that the grandparents are going to go a little crazy and there will already be way too much "stuff". MIL is always saying "he needs more toys with music and flashing lights!" oy...

i think if there is something specific you want them to have, the go for it.  but i wouldnt buy something just to buy something. KWIM? 

• Anything I buy for him in November and December, I will just wrap it!  Sweater? Wrapped! Sippy cup? Wrapped!  Probably just 4 or 5 things.  We have everyone over our house for Christmas so I'm sure there will be enough for him to open!
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • imagejmm881:

Thanks for the great ideas - I might wrap a couple of his older brother's toys that he's outgrown - so then they will officially be Isaac's. 

We don't have a million toys - which is amazing with 5 kids.  But that is only because every year we go through everything and donate toys that no one plays with and throw any broken toys.  I try to get relatives not to buy them too many toys, but it's hard.  I generally buy my kids 1-2 toys at Christmas and then get them small things like toothbrushes, underwear, books, puzzles, etc.

• you might think im nuts because griff wont be able to use it yet but i want to get him one of those ride on toys (that are battery powered).  that would be for his birthday.  for christmas ill prbly get him clothes and books.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"