Natural Birth

How long did you stay after baby?

If you gave birth in a birth center, how long did you stay after baby was born? How long did you WANT to stay, and how long do you think is necessary?

I just found out that my insurance now only covers 6 hours postpartum unless there is a medical concern. I've heard from other that this is enough time, but I've been expecting the option of 24 hours at least since early in my pregnancy. I'm trying to come to terms with the new shortened stay I'm allowed.

Re: How long did you stay after baby?

• We were home six hours after the baby was born. We wanted to get home even sooner, but I had a lot of stitches and there were other delays. We were so exhausted and couldn't wait to get home

It really was plenty of time. If your concerned though, you can ask your midwife how long extra hours would cost. I don't have any information on this, but it could be very reasonable.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my baby in a hospital and stayed the standard 2 nights (less than 48 hours after LO was born) but for what its worth, I was a million times more comfortable once we went home. I think you will be ready after the 6 hours and you will be much more comfortable sleeping in your own bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We left the BC about 4 hours after delivery. It would have been sooner, but we needed to get DD's temp stabilized. I think with DS we left around 3 hours after delivery.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I too gave birth in a hospital. LO was born at 3:05am on a Thursday and we were home by 2pm on Friday. It was nice to have the nurses help with the baby for a little while, but after a few hours there were so many interuptions that getting home was so nice, and quiet!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • Our birth center's average is 4-8 hours postpartum.  IIRC, our state mandates a stay of 4 hours+, but the birth center's max is 12 before they transfer to the hospital if the mom or baby needs more time/care. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • We ended up staying about 10 hours, but that was only because he was born at 9:30pm and we live 1.5 hours away, so we slept there.  The standard for our birth center is closer to 3 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were at a birthing home and left 3.5 hours after delivery. This was the perfect amount of time. We were exhausted and couldn't wait to get home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I was at a hospital with an independent MW practice that had privileges there.  I went home after 3 hours but could have stayed the night.  It was 10:30 at night and if we were going to move from the delivery room to a different room, I figured we may as well move home (which I had hoped all along, but wasn't sure I would be able to go epi-free and be able to walk, etc.)  It was so good to go home when not pooped from sleepless nights yet and still "high" from the birth.  DS slept all night, and DH and I tried...but kept laying there saying, "Hey, did you know we have a kid?" or "Guess what?  I just had a baby."

ETA - I spent the night in the birthing ward at Easter with a glabladder attack.  That was enough for me...  The nurses were good, but certainly not my MWs.  During my delivery not a single hospital staff member entered our room.  When my MWs left, we left. 

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"