September 2011 Moms

Membranes stripped...did you feel like crap afterward

I'm 38 weeks and was feeling like a million bucks......until....monday at my appointment when the doctor stripped some of my membranes to help speed things along (I have GD and baby is measuring big, so they don't want me to go to 40 weeks)  So if I have to be induced she wants to give me the best shot at it going smoothly.
First of all, it hurt, but that's just a side note.  Ever since Monday I feel like total garbage!  I'm crampy, had some spotting,  more uncomfortable contractions (she assured me I would feel all of this)  but I thought it would have went away by now!  Ugh!  My last day of work is Friday so i'm just hoping I can make it to then!!!
Did anyone else feel this way?

Re: Membranes stripped...did you feel like crap afterward

• I posted something similar on the FB group last night. I had my membranes stripped yesterday morning, and ever since then, I've felt like I've had the flu. As the day went on, I started feeling worse. The cramping, contractions and show are all normal, but I feel like my body has been hit by a truck. I called it flu-like symptoms. I don't have a fever, but have body aches, chills, hot flashes, back pain, and it hurts to move around. I'm not sure if the stripping is related, but if it isn't, it sure is a coincidence. 

I hope you feel better, and Friday comes quickly for you. 

Edit: Hopefully all the cramping and contractions you've been feeling since Monday are working to efface and dilate your cervix. 

Did your doctor/MW tell you to have sex after having your membranes stripped? Mine did, but I don't know if we will, and I'm afraid the stripping will be ineffective if we don't have sex.. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Im really interested in the the responses to this one. I am being induced in 2 weeks due to hypertension and it was suggested that I get my membranes stripped next week at my 38 week appt. I know it differs for everyone, but in general, I was wondering if this is something that starts labor/contractions and dilation pretty quickly or if it often takes a few days. As of now, Ive had no BH and doubt I am even dilated...so I think I have my work cut out for me and could use the extra help...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGdAsAu:
    Im really interested in the the responses to this one. I am being induced in 2 weeks due to hypertension and it was suggested that I get my membranes stripped next week at my 38 week appt. I know it differs for everyone, but in general, I was wondering if this is something that starts labor/contractions and dilation pretty quickly or if it often takes a few days. As of now, Ive had no BH and doubt I am even dilated...so I think I have my work cut out for me and could use the extra help...

Dr. told me that if it is going to bring on labor, it normally happens within 24 hours. 
    Of course there are exceptions, but in general 24 hours.
  • imageGdAsAu:
    Im really interested in the the responses to this one. I am being induced in 2 weeks due to hypertension and it was suggested that I get my membranes stripped next week at my 38 week appt. I know it differs for everyone, but in general, I was wondering if this is something that starts labor/contractions and dilation pretty quickly or if it often takes a few days. As of now, Ive had no BH and doubt I am even dilated...so I think I have my work cut out for me and could use the extra help...

From what I've heard from others, and what my MW said, it is different for everyone. It's something that may work the next day or two, or it's something that you may have to have done again at your next weekly appointment. I know a few people IRL who went into labor 2-3 days after having their membranes stripped. I have an NST scheduled for Saturday - my EDD - and another weekly appointment on Tuesday, just in case I don't go into labor. If I'm still pregnant by Tuesday, I'll have them stripped again. I'm hoping I won't need those appointments :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"