Food Allergy

Tests next week.

DS is getting tested next week for food allergies. Just wondering what to expect. I only spoke with the nurse at DS's Pedi's office and they refered us after my call about red bumps around DS's mouth after having his bottles of WCM. That is the only reaction he has had to anything and it doesn't seem to effect him at all and doesn't happen everytime. I just found out that DH was allergic to milk when he was a baby, not now though. DH is also allergic to peanuts, cashews and pistachios so I'm guessing they just want to have DS's tested also because family history w/allergies.

What should I expect when we go?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tests next week.

• Are they drawing blood?  If so, they basically will take his blood, (there were two nurses - one held DS with DH and the other drew the blood).  Then you get the results usually within a few days.  DS did fairly well.  He cried of course, but was fine afterward.

It will be ok!  GL! 

ETA: They also tested for all the major causes for allergies, so they will have results for multiple things.  You should know if he has a nut allergy from the results as well. 

• Bring a new toy. if you have an ipad or some portable dvd player -that's a good distraction.  coloring book and crayons.

is he going to an allergist or is this done at your pedi's office? if it's at your pedis office than it's only a RAST (Blood) test which is quick. But if it's at the allergist office than you will probably do a skin test first and that can take a while. 

The allergist will prick / scratch his back with the allergen (you will have to hold him chest to chest) and then you will have to way about 20 minutes. If it comes out positive they will send you to get blood work (sometimes they will do both for more accurate results)

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I am sure they told you this, but if they are doing a scratch test, he can't have an antihistimine medicine for a week before testing.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"