Natural Birth
Options

Is it possible to learn Bradley w/o a class?

Hi Ladies,

My husband is in the military, and we recently re-located to Germany. As a result, there are no English speaking Bradley classes in my area. Also, there really is no childbirth ed/prep here for us.

I want a natural birth, of which dh is very supportive. I am a RN and have slowly started to educate him about the birth process. He even enthusiastically watched "the business of being born" with me last night.

We have a Bradley book, is that enough? Is there any other materials, books, etc you can suggest we purchase to self study?

thank you

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: Is it possible to learn Bradley w/o a class?

• Options
    We didn't take a class and used McCutcheon's book. The biggest thing that helped me with the birth of LO#1 was the visualization of the contractions when I was pushing. It helped so much for me, but I am sure that there are other tips and visualizations that could work for you, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a military dependent too!  And I just read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and had a natural birth.  Do the have midwives/ Centering at you MTF?  I would suggest trying to get seen by one instead of the OB and making sure you are very clear in your birth plan about your desires.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCilley:
    We didn't take a class and used McCutcheon's book.

^This^ I'm on bedrest and can't take the class.  At this point I can't even do some of the exercises in the book but devouring everything else.  DH hates to read but I summarize the important parts and I'm even going to makes notes for him LOL  I love the break down of contractions just being muscles stretching and opening, helping you get your baby born; when it's simplified that way I'm much less anxious about pain management.  It's a great method to have DH involved too.  Husbands are expected to work as hard as mamas are. 

I also have Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds by Cynthia Gabriel (got these with a BFing book brand new from Amazon with free shipping =) and I'm enjoying all I'm learning from it too.  If you're going to deliver in a hospital I would recommend it.  The Bradley book hasn't been revised since 96 I think so some of the medical stuff is outdated; the relaxation and focusing tips are still invaluable. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecottonlily84:

imageCilley:
    We didn't take a class and used McCutcheon's book.

^This^ I'm on bedrest and can't take the class.  At this point I can't even do some of the exercises in the book but devouring everything else.  DH hates to read but I summarize the important parts and I'm even going to makes notes for him LOL  I love the break down of contractions just being muscles stretching and opening, helping you get your baby born; when it's simplified that way I'm much less anxious about pain management.  It's a great method to have DH involved too.  Husbands are expected to work as hard as mamas are. 

I also have Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds by Cynthia Gabriel (got these with a BFing book brand new from Amazon with free shipping =) and I'm enjoying all I'm learning from it too.  If you're going to deliver in a hospital I would recommend it.  The Bradley book hasn't been revised since 96 I think so some of the medical stuff is outdated; the relaxation and focusing tips are still invaluable. 

I just got done reading this book and loved it! Like PP said, the Bradley book is a bit outdated. I gave it the side eye a couple times...

?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Read the Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Bradley and try to find a copy of the workbook.
  • Options
    We read the books recommended by PP's, but it's also important to be consistent at doing the exercises! You really do want to practice relaxing and stretch. My doc and the nurses all commented at how limber and agile I was at 9 mo. pregnant-- all thanks to Dr. Bradley.
  • Options
    imagefrostnoel:
    I'm a military dependent too!  And I just read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and had a natural birth.  Do the have midwives/ Centering at you MTF?  I would suggest trying to get seen by one instead of the OB and making sure you are very clear in your birth plan about your desires.
    There is no MTF (just a clinic). So I have a German OB. There are midwives in the hospital, but here, the MD who sees you prenatally does not deliver you.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"