Birth Stories
Options

12days late and homebirth transfer

Background: We were planning a home waterbirth with a midwife, her assistant, and a doula. I was due July 10th and my baby was born the 22nd.

Well lets see, my water broke in the night and contractions started off slowly and kept on all night. The midwife's assistant came over and helped us set up the birth pool and get all set. I was still okay all day and into the next night, but couldn't eat or drink anything cause my gallbladder issues (baby had her feet in my gallbladder and it was twisted in half) made me throw up everything even water and I couldn't take that during labor. Then the third day I was really losing strength cause of dehydration and my contractions were still 7min apart and I was at 7dialated. The pool really soothed the pain and I was able to get thru several hours in there and on the birth ball. Then the 4th day I started to get to the point of exhaustion, but hadn't progressed any more than 2days earlier. My midwife checked and I had a second bag of waters, which was what we thought might be slowing things down, so she burst those and we waited for progress, but still nothing. I was throwing up nothing but stomach bile then and dizzy from dehydration, and something just didn't feel right to me, if that makes sense. We decided to call it quits and transfer to the hospital. I was lucky I did co-care with an OB  (we saw him for alternating appointments) who is supportive of natural birth and has privelege at a hospital about 30min away, so he would be there for us. That drive was the longest of my life and it was in 5 o'clock traffic! When we got to the hospital and they checked me they decided I was too weak to labor then so they gave me something to pause labor (no idea that was even possible, apparently they used magnesium) and gave me liquids via IV to rehydrate me. They also said the baby was stuck high and they weren't sure why, but gave me Pitocin to help move her down after I was hydrated and gaining strength. The doctor was worried they might have to do a Csection so they also hooked up an epidural. They let me start pushing at quarter till 4 and had to make me slow down till the doctor could come there, cause he doesn't do episiotomies, he uses massage oils to help stretch. I pushed her out at 4:10am on Friday the 22nd. The cord was wrapped around her neck 3times and she squirmed a little, but then went limp. They started working on her and got her screaming almost right away, but still wanted to take her to the NICU to make sure she was okay. I got to kiss her twice before they took her, but my husband got to go with her. I didn't need any major rapairs, but they said I had two "notches" (apparently hairline tears) on either side, since they were minor they let me decide if I wanted stitches or not. I decided to have them, but only needed on on either side. For some reason I hemmorhaged after the delivery while the placenta was coming out. Thank goodness my OB was amazing, I didn't even realize it was happening till afterwards, as I was so focused on them working on my baby girl. As soon as i was stitched I got to go get Charlotte from the NICU. She was so perfect- 8lbs 10oz and 21in long. She didn't have any problems from the cord thing and is chubby and happy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 12days late and homebirth transfer

• Options
    Wow, that was a little scary but I'm glad everything wound up being ok and she is happy and healthy.
  • Options
    You hemmorhaged because you uterus muscle was "tired" from 4 days of labour. I am glad things turned out safely for you however that seemed like a very risky decision to me. 4 days after rupturing is far too long to wait to deliver.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This was the perfect situation, having both a midwife and an OB and it working in your favor in this manner. Also with having your OB be so supportive of natural birth and having no episiotomies. That's fabulous! I am so happy that everything turned out so well. I remember how exhausted I was from hunger and labor after just twelve hours. I couldn't imagine thirty! You're amazing. Congrats on your LO!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"