Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Registry Help Please

My mom asked me to start my baby registry.  Being that I am a first time mom I am finding this process very hard. I am soooo overwhelmed. So many items to get....and so many different types and colledctions and ratings. Any of you ladies have any suggestions to make this process a little easier??

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Registry Help Please

• Options

Get the book Baby Bargains. It will help make the registry process much easier!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Research, research, research!  Pick up the Baby Bargains book; it's a good start.

Take it slow (if you have time); focus on and learn about a couple items at a time and register for them.  You can add to the registry as many times as you need to :)

This was what made it easier for me.

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I started out with this website: https://www.lucieslist.com/

This helped me get started on the very basics. I didn't use a lot of her recommendations for specific brands but I did use it as a guide. Once I was able to research and pick out those basics, I went to all the fun, little stuff like nail clippers and bath towels. It really helped me to do it in steps because I was really overwhelmed at first. After I got the basics on there, I felt better and then I just added additional stuff as I came across it or while I was at the store.

And I would say start early. I've had my registry done for a good month and half and I'm still changing things and finding new things to add. Plus that way you don't feel rushed into any decisions.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageedilo:

Get the book Baby Bargains. It will help make the registry process much easier!

This!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I second Lucie's list and I followed her brand recommendations whenever possible.  I like her humor and practicality. The stores will give you their own guides/product binders for guidelines and ideas but know that they will try to sell you on every item in the store, needed or not. Pick a store that is convenient for you and your shower guests.  I also like Amazon for a supplemental registry for your own purchases or for those who like to buy online or ship gifts out of town.

A lot of MTB ask for product recommendations from Mommy friends or relatives. The most practical way to get started is evaluate and research the big essentials first (furniture, swings, carseats, strollers, etc, Pack n Play, bedding) and a lot of the registry can be started online (beware that some items are only available online and store inventory varies greatly sometimes).  The best place for research are boards on TB, Baby Bargains (know that their ratings are kind of arbitrary, but people treat it like the words of the Bible), Amazon sales rank and reviews, product reviews on BRU, etc).  Then go into the store to get your goody bag and coupons and add the cute smaller stuff and essentials, section by section.  You don't have to register all at once, it can be quite overwhelming to do that.  I've been readily modifying my choices online as I find out more information or learn about additional must haves.  Have fun and GL! 

• Options

Research the big items before you go to the store.

Have a plan (what type of car seat, what colors, etc).

Do not put clothes on your registry. People will buy them regardless.

Don't take anyone who will stress you out or piss you off.

Cross off at least half of the items on the "must buy" list that the store will give you. It's all superfluous junk. For example, you don't really need 2 infant car seats and 2 convertible seats. Get the infant seat to start with and move up to the convertible when appropriate. Car seats expire; you don't want to waste a year of it's lifespan sitting in a box. Another example... you don't need 4 strollers. Full size, lightweight, umbrella and jogging strollers are all on the "must buy" list at BRU.

Go when you have plenty of time so you aren't rushed.

Stop at a Starbucks on the way and grab your drink of choice and a cookie. The energy boost is fantastic about halfway through the store.

Have fun with it. You can always view your registry online and make revisions.

• Options
    I registered at a store that hand held me through the process and I highly recc that. They gave me a checklist, but explained each and every item so that I could decide what I needed for my lifestyle. They showed me the best items in each category, so I wasn't wasting my time on all the junk. If you have a boutique by you, I think it's much better than going to any of the big stores. I filled in with some stuff at Target, but steered clear of BRU and BBB.
  • Options
    imagesrs5624:

Research the big items before you go to the store.

Have a plan (what type of car seat, what colors, etc).

Do not put clothes on your registry. People will buy them regardless.

Don't take anyone who will stress you out or piss you off.

Cross off at least half of the items on the "must buy" list that the store will give you. It's all superfluous junk. For example, you don't really need 2 infant car seats and 2 convertible seats. Get the infant seat to start with and move up to the convertible when appropriate. Car seats expire; you don't want to waste a year of it's lifespan sitting in a box. Another example... you don't need 4 strollers. Full size, lightweight, umbrella and jogging strollers are all on the "must buy" list at BRU.

Go when you have plenty of time so you aren't rushed.

Stop at a Starbucks on the way and grab your drink of choice and a cookie. The energy boost is fantastic about halfway through the store.

Have fun with it. You can always view your registry online and make revisions.

Well said! In addition to also supporting the Baby Bargains book, I'll add:

- Plan to go more than once so that you don't tire yourself out trying to get it all done in a day... but feel free to add from the internet at home, too- you don't have to trek to the store daily!

- Start with the big essentials on your must have list and work your way down.

- Even if you're finding out the sex, consider going as gender-neutral as possible for the big stuff like strollers, carseats, PnPs, etc... so they can be resused for possible future children.

- Try to have several items in each price point available on your registry for your guests- items as cheap as <$10 and as expensive as you want/need... people might pool their money together for those more expensive things, and even if not- you get a completion discount on buying it after your shower. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"