Northern California Babies
Options

weaning and attachment issues

Anyone have any luck weaning dc when they have attachment issues ? J has been super clingy since 7 months, so were going on 10 months ( SUPER painful ). Its much better then it was 5 months ago but he still has his tough moments. He takes a sippy of milk fine but as soon as he sees me he wants to nurse. I have tried dropping the day nursings and when I'm with him he still wants to. I ask him if he wants milk in a sippy and he starts crying and hits me...................

i would love to wean pretty soon but finding it not looking good.

Any ideas or words of advice ?

ps. he did fine when i was in vegas for 3 days. He is definately an emotional nurser which dc # 1 was not.

Re: weaning and attachment issues

• Options
    No advice, but I am in a similar boat. I don't want to wean, but am able to get Winter to take a sippy if she wants to nurse while I am doing something else or don't feel like nursing..but there are times when nothing but boobay will do. Good luck!
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options

Could you be more hardcore about not nursing when you are at the park/out/etc (some rules you set up) and then let him nurse at will at home?  Maybe just for a short time to establish some boundaries.  Then make new boundaries (only before/after sleep, etc) 

Now this is totally off the wall, but what about giving him skin to skin time without nursing?  Or some other sort of cuddle/close mommy time?  Since you know its emotional nursing, I feel like you need to establish something else in that emotional space, KWIM?  

Ugh, sounds difficult, so you've got my support!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We are going on week two of being weaning and N is almost two.  I started by not nursing out of the house, then moved to nursing only after his nap and first thing in the am, then only in his chair (after nap and first thing in the am) and then cut out after nap (by serious distraction efforts) and then one day he didn't ask in the am and I never offer so I just decided that was the day.

The whole process took about 2 months and we had some pretty rough days.

Best of luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"