Eco-Friendly Family

Poll #1

for all three of you that answered...  *glares at the non answerers who are here*  *but not too much because we need more action!!!!*

and if you say yes, I'm curious when/how you learned!  Also - do you feel like you save a lot of $$ by doing it?  I'm just getting into it this year.  Totally enjoying it!

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poll #1

• I do not. Never have. It's one of those things I wish I'd have learned from my grandmothers and was just too young at the time to I guess. I am seriously CLUELESS on it and how it works. LOL I'm sure it's worthwhile though!

ETA: AND I hear people say they don't do it cuz they are afraid of poisoning their family so that makes me scared to try it if that is a risk... Cuz I'd be the jackass who did. LOL

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Papa wants action! Somebody call her husband before s/he starts humping legs!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageandrealynn0707:
    Papa wants action! Somebody call her husband before s/he starts humping legs!

Don't drive away the people that don't know my little secret, Andrealynn...  *looks around innocently* 

• I just started canning this summer.  Well, all I've canned are about 25 lbs of peaches.  I keep meaning to buy the bulk tomatoes from the local CSA so I can can some sauce and diced tomatoes but just haven't felt motivated and I've been tied up researching all the crap that is apparently required for a baby.

I checked out the Ball canning book from the library and used that.  All the information is laid out really well and they have a nice FAQ section towards the back of the book.

• umm what are we talking about?
  • imageGeekMom:
    umm what are we talking about?

Canning.  

the 'secret' is the ongoing rumor that I'm a hairy old man.  Not the case, FTR.  I shave regularly. 

• Where's the "No but I want to" option?
    Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagelittleanomaly:
    Where's the "No but I want to" option?

Added! 

• I've done a little canning over the last two years - mostly jams and applesauce.  Last year I made enough applesauce (from free apples) to last the entire year, so it definitely saved us money.

This year it became an obsession.  I discovered the steam canner and it changed my life.  lol  But it is really time consuming.  Every spare moment I have is spent in my kitchen canning stuff, with the baby on my back and my toddlers screaming from the kitchen table.  It makes for one hot kitchen!!

We have a garden and also do a CSA.  I have been canning anything I have an excess of and am now running out of room on our shelves to store the jars.  So far I've done - strawberry jelly, jalapeno jelly, green beans, dilly beans, pickled beets, okra, tomatoes, salsa, and some other stuff I can't remember.  I still have to do peaches, pears, apples, grape jelly, spinach, carrots, sauerkraut, more okra, and pumpkin. 

I made a goal for myself to only eat local organic food for the year.  It's easy to do in the summer, but I know it will be a challenge this winter.  Canning is the only way I will have enough fruits and veggies to feed my family.

• I should also add that I completely taught myself.  All it took was a Ball jar book.  I follow the tried and true recipes and it's easy peasy.

• I 100% agree that it's time consuming.  That's why I'm hesitating on doing another batch of something because it took me about 3 hours to can the peaches I did earlier this summer.  I either don't have that time block or I'm so freaking tired.  But I really need to get on the tomatoes I plan on doing because I don't buy canned tomatoes anymore and those boxed tomatoes aren't exactly cheap.
  • So far I've only done jams, but I'm looking forward to doing more!  Sadly, we don't have a CSA, and our garden didn't produce at all.  I'm thinking of going to a semi-local farm for some tomatoes, because ours didn't grow very well, and I don't anticipate getting many before the frost. I so wanted to can or freeze sauce, though!

• I've canned tomatoes for the last 3 years (diced & crushed), so I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm not a complete newbie.  Honestly, it's very time consuming and not exactly cost efficient when you consider some canned tomatoes cost $1/can.  BUT, regular canned tomatoes have the highest BPA and they don't taste nearly as great as my canned tomatoes fresh from the in-law's garden.  So, totally worth it, IMO.

I will add that I once made tomato sauce to can, and that was absolutely NOT worth the time and effort involved.  The few cans I ended up with were like liquid gold in my house!!

Photobucket

Cycle #11: BFP

• imageLittleFuller:

I've canned tomatoes for the last 3 years (diced & crushed), so I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm not a complete newbie.  Honestly, it's very time consuming and not exactly cost efficient when you consider some canned tomatoes cost $1/can.  BUT, regular canned tomatoes have the highest BPA and they don't taste nearly as great as my canned tomatoes fresh from the in-law's garden.  So, totally worth it, IMO.

I will add that I once made tomato sauce to can, and that was absolutely NOT worth the time and effort involved.  The few cans I ended up with were like liquid gold in my house!!

Yeah - I want to move to the Muir Glen Organic tomatoes if we continue to buy, because they're bpa free, so I figure I might be able to save a bit of $$.  

And interesting on the sauce.  I froze some several years ago when we had a decent crop, and since all I had to do was make it, toss it into ziplocks and put it in the freezer, I was pretty happy with it.  perhaps I'll stick w freezing for any sauce I do (if I do it - I may just stick with the whole/crushed tomatoes).

• Awwww, it's been while since I've seen a JT option on a poll. I'm all nostalgic now.

Hi, Juicy Toots owner! (DING! <---Google alert) 

Never gets old.

• I clicked the 'no, but I want to' option, but what I really needed was an option that said, 'no, I want to but I am terrified of botulism and don't trust myself not to poison my family.' Stick out tongue

• growing up, my mom and i canned jams and her famous chile relish sauce, as well as pears and applesauces.

Now I can green beans, pickles, dilly beans, applesauce, jams, jellies, stewed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, marinara, and the occasional carrots or soup bases. I would like to do more soups, but haven't looked for recipes. I'm also curious to try canning my own black beans and baked beans.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"