Preemies
Options

Preemie Must Haves

Hi ladies-

We are being told Jonah is on the 'going home track' and so we are getting some things ready. The pack and play is set up in our room and it looks so huge for his little body. This is all so different from how I pictured the big homecoming.

We still don't have a monitor... I'm wondering which one you guys like.. and if you use the Snuza too.

What other things are you really glad you have or had for your preemie? Did you use a swing or bouncy sweet for your LO when you brought him or her home? Right now, Jonah is 4 lbs 9 oz. I am thinking he will be grazing 5 lbs by the time he comes home.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Preemie Must Haves

• Options

The boys slept in a co-sleeper in our room at first.  We did not use a monitor.  They were with us 3-4 months then went to their cribs in the next room.  We started using the swing and bouncer when they were home probably 2 weeks... right around their due date.  Before that they were too overstimulated and barely fit in them correctly.  

I think as long as you have swaddling blankets, diapers, stuff for bottles, as many pre-cooked meals as you can handle/store, you'll be all set. 

• Options

We're on an apnea monitor (still), otherwise I wish I had gotten the RNP right away and used it over a bouncy seat. Preemies don't really do anything - just eat, sleep, eat, sleep. We have something similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Tummy-Time-Activity/dp/B0015CA3A4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1314555551&sr=8-8) which I love and still use. DS was too little to use the standard Boppy so I used this mini one - and still keep it on the changing pad on his floor for neck support.

Otherwise make a Pandora channel ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Things I've used since day one:

- A&A swaddling blankets

- RNP sleeper

- Snug-a-Bunny swing

- Carrier (I like the Moby, but there are several good ones)

- vented bottles (Dr. Browns is what a lot of people like, but I like Ventaire)

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

Multi Use Pads--Baby spits up-so pads are good for diaper changing table(baby likes to pee and poop), crib, cradle, etc.  Halo Sleepsack, Aden & Anais Swaddle Blankets--baby like being swaddled under his arms.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3368919&prodFindSrc=search

We put blankets and washclothes in his carseat to pad him more. 

Baby Einstein bouncer--our baby was 6 lbs when he came home so he could start using it at 6lbs.  He is now 26 lbs, and he still loves this bouncer. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

Your babies are all so cute!

So, I have the Snug-a-bunny swing, and I'm so glad I'll be able to use it pretty soon after he gets home. I also have loads of the A&A blankets and multi-use pads.

I have a bouncy seat. Do you think I really need the RNP? I have a PNP for him in our bedroom, right next to me, and I have a bassinet for downstairs sleeping.

• Options
    Nope, but if your cute lil boy has reflux it's extremely helpful :)
  • Options
    imageMrsMVM:

Your babies are all so cute!

So, I have the Snug-a-bunny swing, and I'm so glad I'll be able to use it pretty soon after he gets home. I also have loads of the A&A blankets and multi-use pads.

I have a bouncy seat. Do you think I really need the RNP? I have a PNP for him in our bedroom, right next to me, and I have a bassinet for downstairs sleeping.

The good thing about the RnP is that it is good for reflux.  Also, it is small and contained.  My LO's "open crib" at the hospital was just a bassinet, so he liked the contained feeling of the RnP.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

The RNP is great b/c they are used to having their boundaries, it keeps them much more snug than the PNP I think. Plus, it's great for reflux. It's my # 1 recommendation honestly.

If you do a swing, get one that doubles as a bouncy that you can move from room to room. Our NICU had one of those for us and it was SO NICE to move it around easily, I got home and have to lug this massive swing around the house and it's so annoying.

We have this monitor Summer Infant Baby Touch Digital Color Video Monitor

and I love it b/c on the 2nd highest volume, I can HEAR her breathing. And I can see her breathing when I have it on video. So for me it's comforting b/c I am neurotic ;)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Options

Definitely the RNP sleeper, I wish we'd had that with DS1, he had awful awful reflux.

A whole lot of burp clothes.

A sling or carrier for sure. 

A stroller - our first wire-free walk was amazing and we went every day.

We rarely used our swing, and definitely not until he was older.  He didn't like to be swaddled because he wasn't used to being swaddled.  

Otherwise, the basics - diapers, wipes, bottles/formula (?), vitamins, sleepers, pacifiers (?)...

and charge your camera!!

(We did not have a monitor, he was not required to have one, and I'm glad we did not. I'm probably in the minority - having a 26 weeker home was stressful enough without adding more complexity and I like having things feel are "normal" as possible.)

• Options
    A&A Swaddling blankets and AngelCare Monitor
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Take home the bulb syringe from the NICU!! All of the other store-bought kind really do not work well at all.

Lots of burp cloths. Hand sanitizer. Maybe a white noise machine or sleep sheep (what we have). LO may be used to hearing lots of noise from the NICU and it may seem very quiet at home. We have the Summer Infant black & white monitor and I love it. I can also hear & see him breathing on it.

• Options
    And tons of burp cloths!!!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsMVM:

Hi ladies-

We are being told Jonah is on the 'going home track' and so we are getting some things ready. The pack and play is set up in our room and it looks so huge for his little body. This is all so different from how I pictured the big homecoming.

We still don't have a monitor... I'm wondering which one you guys like.. and if you use the Snuza too.

What other things are you really glad you have or had for your preemie? Did you use a swing or bouncy sweet for your LO when you brought him or her home? Right now, Jonah is 4 lbs 9 oz. I am thinking he will be grazing 5 lbs by the time he comes home.

We brought home babies with reflux too and I was afraid of them becoming addicted to the rnp. Instead we just elevated the pack n play matress so it was on a slight angle. Ours are Chicco and we put boards across the supports and then a folded up quilt to make the angle. We have perfect sleepers and they were in pack n play for 3-5 weeks (until 8 weeks actual) and then in their cribs (which we also elevated for reflux by putting quilts under one end) from then with absolutely no problems.

Also, I couldn't sleep at night without the snuza's. I like that they are portable as we travel a lot and spend lots of time at our mountain house, camping, etc. We've only had them alarm twice and both times it was from me not clipping it on well enough and it slid off an into the swaddle. I was afraid it would be huge on my tiny baby and would be uncomfortable and that wasn't the case. In the beginning they wore them 24 hours a day and when I moved them into their cribs they wear only for night time. They might go to kindergarten with the things on!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sweet 32 week slept a lot when we brought him home. We use the AngelCare Monitor and I love it! Because he had a lot of breathing issues had brady and apena in the NICU so this made me comfortable to sleep at night. He also has severe acid reflux so we use the Nap Nanny every day. This came in handy for us. We did not start using his swing till he was 7lbs an he LOVES it. We also used the extra blankets in his car seat. Swaddle them too, they always have the swaddled in the NICU even at night. Also extra advice on the sleeping at night the NICU is loud and babies get use to that noise so we sleep with the tv on till he falls into a deep sleep and  then turn it off. Good Luck!! 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"