Preemies
Options

TTC after a preemie question

I know this will depend on why your LO was premature and whether or not you had fertility treatments but in general, did you see a regular OB or a peri for your next baby?

I just started a new job and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take their insurance. There isn't a level III NICU in network and I don't know if they will refer me to a peri at a hospital with a level III.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TTC after a preemie question

• Options
    I will see an RE for fertility treatments & then an OB after I get pregnant.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

The way it was explained to me is:

- Peri for tests, then TTC

- OB would monitor me and would refer me back to a peri if I needed it.  I would have a lot more NST, ultrasounds, etc. done if I ever got pregnant again.  

I didn't have PTL though, I think things are quite different with that.  Especially if it was due to IC.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

From what I understand (and we are years away from TTC again), I will start with my OB and then also see a high-risk doctor throughout the pregnancy. DD was early because of IC so the plan includes a cerclage early in the pregnancy and close monitoring throughout. Because its so likely I will have another preemie (hopefully not as early!) I would be very hesitant to have insurance that didn't include a Level III NICU. 

• Options
    imageKate621:

I know this will depend on why your LO was premature and whether or not you had fertility treatments but in general, did you see a regular OB or a peri for your next baby?

I just started a new job and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take their insurance. There isn't a level III NICU in network and I don't know if they will refer me to a peri at a hospital with a level III.

Also, can you call them?  I can't believe that a level III wouldn't be covered.  If someone needs intensive care, your insurance should have a way around this.  If you did have to pay out of pocket, do they have a catastrophic cap?  Would that still apply to it?    

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imagekck329:

From what I understand (and we are years away from TTC again), I will start with my OB and then also see a high-risk doctor throughout the pregnancy. DD was early because of IC so the plan includes a cerclage early in the pregnancy and close monitoring throughout. Because its so likely I will have another preemie (hopefully not as early!) I would be very hesitant to have insurance that didn't include a Level III NICU. 

This for me also... Except we are planning on starting to try for number 2 when DH gets back from deployment.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Options
    My DD was 6 weeks early due to pPROM. We saw the RE for fertility treatments, then I went back to the midwives who delivered DD. They gave me an open invitation to see their MFM, but this pregnancy's been going so well I never felt I needed it. They sent me out for growth scans at 32 and 36 weeks (DD was also IUGR).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageShannonSky:
    My DD was 6 weeks early due to pPROM. We saw the RE for fertility treatments, then I went back to the midwives who delivered DD. They gave me an open invitation to see their MFM, but this pregnancy's been going so well I never felt I needed it. They sent me out for growth scans at 32 and 36 weeks (DD was also IUGR).
    I'm glad to read this is an option...I love my midwife and had not planned to see a high-risk OB or peri with #2.  I will talk about cervical checks, etc. with my MW but I feel very comfortable with her care and want to stay with her if at all possible.
  • Options

imagejteneback:
    imageShannonSky:
    I'm glad to read this is an option...I love my midwife and had not planned to see a high-risk OB or peri with #2.  I will talk about cervical checks, etc. with my MW but I feel very comfortable with her care and want to stay with her if at all possible.

I think it probably depends on a lot of factors, but my MW practice was perfectly comfortable keeping me as a patient. I had a cervical check at my 32 week growth scan and all looked well. They also put me on Florajen3, a probiotic, but nothing else. My placenta from DD came back normal, so they assume it was either an infection in the water itself, or just a fluke. I still think something else was going on (why would DD1 be in the <10% for growth if everything was fine??), but I don't think we'll ever know what and I'm just grateful it isn't repeating this time. This baby was measuring 7lb 2oz 2 weeks ago! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I met with an MFM before TTC, got a plan, he sent it to my ob.  I saw my OB throughout my pregnancy.  He consulted with the MFM as needed.
  • Options
    imagekatie4253:
    imageKate621:

Also, can you call them?  I can't believe that a level III wouldn't be covered.  If someone needs intensive care, your insurance should have a way around this.  If you did have to pay out of pocket, do they have a catastrophic cap?  Would that still apply to it?    

The OOP max isn't that much. My concern is if we do have problems and need to have care transferred or need the NICU they will have never seen me/baby and have none of my medical history. My ds was born due to an abruption while we were 7 hours from home so having a doctor that had never seen me and in a completely foreign hospital was a nightmare. I hate this shiit. Ugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"