Upstate NY Babies

Random children

2 random children from the main road outside ours just spent 45 min playing with my dog. They were 12 and 13 and were riding by on their bikes. They asked to pet the dog and I said ok....they then came into our yard to play and wouldn't leave!

They seemed like good kids, but it was so random and odd. The 13 yr old girl told me they lived with their Aunt. Their mother had passed away and their dad couldn't care for them because he worked long hours. It was so sad, however I am not sure I want them hanging around my house either.

She offered her 15 yr old sisters babysitting services, and the 12 yr old boy had a blast playing with the dog. They wanted to come back after lunch but I said it was nap time. I would never let them inside, I shouldn't have even let them pet the dog.

I hate to avoid going outside because they clearly are looking for some attention.... isn't their Aunt concerned about their whereabouts? 

Thank goodness school starts soon!

WWYD in this situation, if they return?  Update already...they a;ready came back and I saw them in my yard. I told them they needed to go home as I couldn't be responsible if something happened with the dog while they played.

=( Poor kids.

Re: Random children

• Thats sad. There are actually kids in my sisters neighborhood that were a very similar situation, but at least my sister has kids sort of close to their ages.. They lives with their grandparents because the mom passed away and the dad was MIA.. When they first moved in they were a lot like that, showing up at their house at random times and overstaying their welcome, but now its been awhile.. maybe 4 years or so? and apparently they've grown up to be really good kids.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • I meant to add, you're probably right.. they are looking for attention.. they are probably under the care of someone who really did not have a desire to have some pre-teen kids in their house.. you know?
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, that really is random! That makes me so sad that they seek out strangers and their dogs to give them attention.

I had a neighbor like that when I lived in Buffalo, a little boy would ride past our house and would stop and play with my dog for a loooong time. I felt bad but it got to the point where if I saw him coming, I would run in the house, I didn't want people getting the wrong idea!

• That is sad.  I think if I were in your position, I would let the kids talk and play while I am out.  But if I want to go in, I would just say, ok we have to go in now, have a nice day.  And definitely not stay out longer than I wanted to.  Is your dog out front when you are inside, or are the kids going to the backyard?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"