New Jersey Babies

NJ Teachers/Prudential Disability

Hi Ladies,

I also posted this on the Sept. 2011 Board as well as 3rd Tri Board... 

I have a question for any NJ teachers who also pay into the Prudential Disability plan.  Does anyone have any clue if we are able to collect disability over the summer months?  I tried calling Prudential to begin the paperwork for disability because it was my understanding that we can collect 4 weeks before our due date and 6 weeks after.  I am due Sept. 9th.  My Dr. wrote me out for my Board of Ed note as of August 10th.  My question is will Prudential honor that date since technically I am a 10 month employee and I don't work in the summer anyhow?  When I called up to begin my claim they asked me when my last day of work is.  Well, my last day was technically June 24th...Do i tell them June 24th or August 10th?  I just am so confused!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NJ Teachers/Prudential Disability

• It doesn't matter that you are a 10 month employee they consider you a 12 month.  You should tell them the June 24th date.  The is a waiting period depending on how much you pay into it.  I have a 30 day waiting period so I cannot get the 4 weeks before.  They do it a real screwy way which I do not understand at all.

So my last day was June 24th I have a 30 day waiting period which brings me to July 25th to collect funds...I am due Aug 2nd and 4 weeks before is July 2nd but that is during the 30 day waiting period so I cannot collect.  I can only get the 6 weeks after.

If you tell them June 24th you will be able to get the 4 weeks before depending on what they say about the dr note.  He could always change the date.

• Ok Great!  Thanks so much for the feedback!  I feel like such an idiot with all of these forms and procedures!  I will tell her June 24th then.  Thanks again!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto pp.  4 weeks before and 6 weeks after for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for c-section.  Summer doesn't matter.  I just had to provide a dr's note with my due date and that he wanted me out of work 4 weeks before. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Every night I prayed for you. Then when you were in my belly, I prayed harder. Now that you're in my arms, I pray even harder.
  • My MIL had surgery and she was able to collect over the summer.  She told me it should be the same for pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"