Baby Showers
Options

Welcome Home Baby Party?

Ok, quick background...I'm in Oregon with my fiance's family. (His parents have insisted that we move in with them, since I'm not working, so we can save and they can keep an eye on me and so I'm not alone all day, which I love.) Besides his parents, his family is in southern California, mine are all in Florida, I have no family here whatsoever. I was talking with his mom last night about when we should have the shower. I'm due early Feb and I'm thinking the timing is bad to have a shower close to the holidays. So we're thinking of having a "Welcome Home Baby" party after the baby is born, maybe in March sometime, rather than a traditional shower. Has anyone ever heard of this or is this just a bad idea? And what would the proper "etiquette" be for handling this? Any advice would be great!

Thanks all!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Welcome Home Baby Party?

• Options

I threw a "welcome baby" shower for a friend of mine once.  In her situation, she was from out of state and was only visiting our home town when the baby was a couple of months old.  She specifically requested a shower at that time because of special circumstances, and everybody knew and understood this so they had no problem with having a shower at that time.

It's probably an unpopular opinion on this board, but I see no problem with your family having a shower for you after the baby is born.  Your motivation seems to be that you're being considerate of everyone's holidays schedules, and they may truly appreciate that.  They might also really love the chance to play with the baby instead of just watching you open presents. 

You could always call this a "meet the baby party" without using the word "shower" and omit registry info from the invitation.  Make a registry, and the hostess(es) can provide the info if anyone asks when they RSVP.

Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    I plan to have a welcome home baby shower, this is our second daughter and we really don't need anything.  I want everyone to get a chance to see baby at once and it would be nice to see our family since we live out of state from them.  It sounds like your heart and intention is in the right place so go for it.
    ~yovey~ BabyName Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I honestly don't get that some people think it's a problem to have a regular shower after the baby is born.  In the states it seems like it's only appropriate to call it a shower PRIOR to baby being born, but here (and in many other places in Canada as well as other cultures) you rarely hear of showers until after the baby is born.  And then they aren't called "welcome home baby" anything it's called a baby shower!

So I don't think it's a problem at all!  If it works best for you that way, have a regular shower, just have it after baby is born!  Call it a shower, do your invites with registry information, and do everything else like a regular shower if that's what you want! 

Of course though, I am assuming that you wouldn't be hosting it..... I do believe that hosting your own baby shower is still taboo most places around North America and in most other cultures as well....

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    imageD&MAB:

I was talking with his mom last night about when we should have the shower.

So, you were talking about when you would throw your shower? 

• Options
    I think it's a neat idea! To each their own right? There is nothing wrong with thinking out of the box, you are making things easy for you and your family. The holidays are a lot of work as it is, so by holding off you might enjoy things more after the baby is here. I think people will also be more excited because they get to see the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage

• Options

We hosted a BBQ/Welcome Baby Party for our 2nd child.  It was not a shower and I did not register.  Some people brought gifts (which we did not open during the party) and some didn't.

Since this is your first you can certainly call it a shower whether you have it before or after the birth of your LO - IMO.  Be sure to register because obviously many items you will already have since you are waiting until the baby is older.  I have hosted 2 "showers" for friends after the LO's were born.  They were always soon after delivery (within 2-3 weeks) so they only got the essentials before hand.  It worked out really well.  I am assuming your FI's mother is hosting?  If you are hosting your own then don't call it a shower or register...just make it a Meet the Baby Party.  It is not proper etiquette to host your own shower...KWIM?

• Options
    No, my soon-to-be mother-in-law wants to host the shower for me but since my whole family is East Coast and theirs is So Cal, we weren't sure what to do. Especially it being so close to the holidays and the is the first grandson for both sides of the family. Everyone is so excited and we thought this would be a good chance for everyone to meet each other as well. My FI is concerned that we won't get anything if we wait for a shower after the birth, which I think is ridiculous because we've already received a few gifts and we haven't registered yet. We'll see...thanks for the feedback ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a similar situation and may not be able to travel around the holidays after finding out about low placenta.  My mom wants to have my new family see them a couple of months after baby is born for the same thing, instead of having a shower. I do not want or will need gifts, but want to see my family. :)
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a friend do a welcome home baby party. She went into labor and had her baby on the day of her baby shower. I think it's perfectly fine. Especially under your circumstances.
  • Options

My parents hosted a "meet the baby party" in their state for us when DS was 6 months old. My IL's did the same this month.

I was so embarrassed people brought gifts. Gah. 

But I let them host it and do what they wanted- all I did was show up, baby in tow! 

I hosted his baptism at 6 weeks and let me tell you, that was not fun, relaxing, I was still pretty sore, DS was still nursing round the clock, and I did not want anyone's grubby hands on him. My hormones were also still very out of whack and it didn't take much to set me off.

Just warning you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"