Attachment Parenting

Floor bed to crib transition - help needed

The floor bed has been working great until recently. But LO figured out how to slide off the mattress so even though it is past her bedtime and she is tired - she is sliding off and crawling around even though it is pitch black! I am there with her because we bedshare and go to bed at the same time. I am thinking it is time to get her in her crib. I usually nurse her drowsy and if she starts crawling around, I just keep laying her down until she gives up and goes to sleep. But now she is all over the room. I am not sure how to get her to go to sleep in her crib. Any suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Floor bed to crib transition - help needed

• My DS is older/walking, but we recently started transitioning from a side-car crib to free-standing.  He was/is taking over an hour to fall asleep, and we either had to nurse or walk him around to get him to sleep, which was getting stressful for the whole family.  He started learning how to fall asleep on his own in the last couple of weeks, but it was still taking over an hour.  We put the side on the crib to have a safe place for him to be while he's still awake.  I'm not sure how relevant this is to you, but here is how our transition has gone...

We are still working on it since we just started on Saturday, and it has been a slow transition for us.  The first day, he cried immediately when I tried to put him down drowsy, so we nursed to sleep as usual, and then put him in there asleep.  The next night, we put him in there awake, and he stayed laying down for about 1 minute, then stood and cried.  DH picked him up, sang one song, then put him back down.  He cried immediately again, so he repeated the one song routine several times.  He went from standing/crying, to laying/crying, to laying/quiet, to asleep with each song.  We didn't leave him in his crib if he was crying.  Last night (night 3), I nursed until drowsy, then did the one song walking/put him in crib routine.  After the second go around, he asked me to sit on the bed while he laid in his crib.  If he got too chatty/sat/stood, I would remind him to lay back down, and he would.  I tried to leave while he was still awake, and he would get upset and stand up, but then I would sit back down and he calmed without me having to pick him up.  I tried again to leave, but then ended up staying until he was asleep.  Our hope is that tonight will go even better and I'll be able to leave him in there awake, and he'll fall asleep alone.  We'll see.  He still hasn't slept through the night, but he sleeps now until 1 am or so, then we bring him to our bed.

Going from the side-car to the free-standing crib felt a little like a step in the wrong direction to me, but it is working for now.  If his room was ready, then we probably would have gone directly to a floor bed instead.  I'm sure he would have gotten out of bed a lot, and I'm honestly not sure how to get around that.   

• imageIreland05:

My DS is older/walking, but we recently started transitioning from a side-car crib to free-standing.  He was/is taking over an hour to fall asleep, and we either had to nurse or walk him around to get him to sleep, which was getting stressful for the whole family.  He started learning how to fall asleep on his own in the last couple of weeks, but it was still taking over an hour.  We put the side on the crib to have a safe place for him to be while he's still awake.  I'm not sure how relevant this is to you, but here is how our transition has gone...

We are still working on it since we just started on Saturday, and it has been a slow transition for us.  The first day, he cried immediately when I tried to put him down drowsy, so we nursed to sleep as usual, and then put him in there asleep.  The next night, we put him in there awake, and he stayed laying down for about 1 minute, then stood and cried.  DH picked him up, sang one song, then put him back down.  He cried immediately again, so he repeated the one song routine several times.  He went from standing/crying, to laying/crying, to laying/quiet, to asleep with each song.  We didn't leave him in his crib if he was crying.  Last night (night 3), I nursed until drowsy, then did the one song walking/put him in crib routine.  After the second go around, he asked me to sit on the bed while he laid in his crib.  If he got too chatty/sat/stood, I would remind him to lay back down, and he would.  I tried to leave while he was still awake, and he would get upset and stand up, but then I would sit back down and he calmed without me having to pick him up.  I tried again to leave, but then ended up staying until he was asleep.  Our hope is that tonight will go even better and I'll be able to leave him in there awake, and he'll fall asleep alone.  We'll see.  He still hasn't slept through the night, but he sleeps now until 1 am or so, then we bring him to our bed.

Going from the side-car to the free-standing crib felt a little like a step in the wrong direction to me, but it is working for now.  If his room was ready, then we probably would have gone directly to a floor bed instead.  I'm sure he would have gotten out of bed a lot, and I'm honestly not sure how to get around that.   

Thanks for sharing! It does help. I suppose we would just stay with her and keep lying her down in the crib until she fell asleep. She is just used to me lying down with her. I don't want to go back to nursing her asleep and putting her down asleep because putting her down is IMPOSSIBLE. And it feels like we are going backward because I know at night (not naps) she can fall asleep without nursing. 

We went to a floor bed because it was too stressful for me to have her on the regular bed even with the crib sidecarred because I was worried she would fall off the bed when I was sleeping. Now it is too stressful having her crawling around the room at night. We keep it pitch black which helps her fall and stay asleep. So I need her in a safe place and the crib is safe. We can't put her in the nursery yet because the AC doesn't work on that side of teh house and it is too hot. But I don't want her alone yet - plus she wakes up once a night to nurse.

I guess we will kind of do what you did. Just stay close to her while she is in the crib and comfort her the best we can until she falls asleep. Boy she was having tantrums when I kept putting her back on the floor bed! I see the toddler personality appearing, eeek!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"