Natural Birth

How Long (week wise) Did Your MW Let You Go Before Induction?

Hopefully, my LO will be here in the nexy few days but I am just wondering how long your MW was able to let you go before shecudling and induction.

I really want to try and let LO come on their own time...

Looks like 42 weeks is the outside limit for me. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*

Re: How Long (week wise) Did Your MW Let You Go Before Induction?

• I was scheduled to be induced 12 days past my EDD, that's the longest they wanted me to wait. Luckily I went into labor 8.5 hours before my induction time, hope the same happens for you :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine was the same, 42 weeks.  It didn't matter though since he came on his own two days before my due date.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Technically at 42w she had to recommend an induction, but she has told me that if baby looks good on BPP & non-stress test, that it is flexible. Hoping I don't go near that long. Went into labor with dd at 40w5d, she was norm at 41w exactly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekmariec777:
    I was scheduled to be induced 12 days past my EDD, that's the longest they wanted me to wait. Luckily I went into labor 8.5 hours before my induction time, hope the same happens for you :)

Thanks!  That would be great :-)  My MW wants to avoid intervention for as long as possible but I am just looking at options should it go past that point. 

I just want LO to come on their own terms, if possible. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • imagesecondaryPULSE:
    42 weeks, although she said that if it came down to the wire, and I wanted to go longer, she would be willing to "allow" me to go longer if I agreed to biophyiscal profiles, etc. Keep in mind that the average first pregnancy is 41 weeks 1 day. Don't be discouraged. Your baby will come out! Think positive, and try not to dwell on the possibility of your baby "not coming on time." All babies come out! Good luck! Stay strong!

Thanks for the enouragement.  I am feeling great and calm and willing to let LO come on his own but at my last appoitment started to fell under pressure so to speak.  Not so much from my MW but from isurance and the hospitals policies since they are primarily concerned with "liability".

I have had a wonderful pregnancy thus far (not even one complication!) and really trust my body and my LO. Now it I could just ignore the naysayers, I would be set. 

I knew I could find some encouragement to back up my instincts, here. 

• Neither my current MW, nor my previous MW recommend inductions for date reasons.  I had my daughter at 43 weeks and was being monitored closely by my MW the whole time.  She came out perfectly pink and got 10/10 on her APGARs.  

I really don't like using the term "let you" in these situations.  This is your body and your decision and no one is "letting you" do anything, just like they can't force you to have an induction at 42 weeks.  

Yes, it would be nice to agree with your care provider, but if you really don't want to be induced at 42 weeks, then don't get induced. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imagepinksweetpea2:

I really don't like using the term "let you" in these situations.  This is your body and your decision and no one is "letting you" do anything, just like they can't force you to have an induction at 42 weeks.  

Yes, it would be nice to agree with your care provider, but if you really don't want to be induced at 42 weeks, then don't get induced. 

That thought goes through my head every single time I hear someone say "they won't let me...."  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imageJason'swife:
    imagepinksweetpea2:

That thought goes through my head every single time I hear someone say "they won't let me...."  

Agreed.  It is just that if I go past a certain point, I will not be able to have my MW delivery me due to state law and hospital procedure. My MW is not rushing me, it is just that I really like her a lot and her point of view and want her to be able to deliver my baby at all possible.

I have no plans on letting anyone induce me as I truly belive babies come on their own time and I feel when you rush the process, things can go wrong.

I also live in a state where supported home birth is not really an option.  I can give birth at home, on my own but MWs are not legally allowed to assist.  

• My midwife doesn't believe in setting an induction date.  After 42 weeks or so, the baby would be monitored very closely and we'd talk induction if it was a case where it was necessary.
  • imagesunandsurfmama:

Agreed.  It is just that if I go past a certain point, I will not be able to have my MW delivery me due to state law and hospital procedure. My MW is not rushing me, it is just that I really like her a lot and her point of view and want her to be able to deliver my baby at all possible.

I have no plans on letting anyone induce me as I truly belive babies come on their own time and I feel when you rush the process, things can go wrong.

I also live in a state where supported home birth is not really an option.  I can give birth at home, on my own but MWs are not legally allowed to assist.  

I definitely understand that. Some states are more "midwife friendly" than others.

Good luck to you! I'm sure your baby will come on its own. :) 

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • My midwife doesn't induce unless there's a medical reason.  After 42 weeks she would have had me coming in for check ups every day or every other day and NST's one a week or more if she felt anything might be wrong at an appointment.  She told me that she's had a few women go to 44 weeks (which terrified me at the time)!!  I ended up having DS at 41 weeks exactly though so I didn't have to set any world records or anything :)
    imageimage 
  • They said 42 weeks, although ultimately it was my decision not theirs. I ended up being induced at 42.5 weeks.
  • My MWs worked in the hospital and thus had to follow hospital policies which recommended inductions at 41w6d (I think the reason for this day was that they wanted the baby out by 42w).  Anyway if you wanted to go later than that you had to sign a waiver and then you could go forever.  Luckily I had DD at 40w3d and so it wasn't an issue.  
  • i suspect most MWs would "let" their mamas go longer if they weren't under the auspices of an OB. my MW is not supervised by an OB and does not impose artificial time limits on gestation. if there was a reason to induce with meds, she would transfer my care to an OB. otherwise, the plan was to wait for baby. my vbac baby came at 41.6 and we would have waited as long as was necessary (and safe, which isn't determined by dates in a vacuum).
  • imageemmyloustu:
    Technically at 42w she had to recommend an induction, but she had told me that if baby looks good on BPP & non-stress test, that it is flexible.

This, however, I ended up delivering on 40+5 so not bad at all

• At 42 weeks I would've had to transfer to an OB for a hospital induction. I had my DS at 41w, 5d after taking castor oil and walking a ton of stairs. Have you tried any natural things to induce?
  • imageShannonMacHappy:
    At 42 weeks I would've had to transfer to an OB for a hospital induction. I had my DS at 41w, 5d after taking castor oil and walking a ton of stairs. Have you tried any natural things to induce?
    I could've / would've refused hospital induction just for date, but I would not have been able to have my baby at the birth center past 42 weeks. So I opted for a "natural" induction to achieve the birth I wanted.
  • Both my midwives and their backup OB were fine with me going to 43 weeks before discussing induction. I was induced with my ds (in the UK) at 42 weeks, and this time I didn't want to go longer than 42 weeks despite their feeling that 43 weeks was okay. I was scheduled for an induction at 42 weeks but went into labor on my own that day.
  • Thanks for all of the feedback. 

I awoke out of a dead sleep at 3:30 this morning with contractions that came all on their own.  Have been having them all day pretty consistently. No addtional progression at this point but I will take the contractions for now.

Feel like LO will be coming in the next day or two.

Was able to avoid the scheduled NST this afternoon.   

• I was scheduled to have my membranes stripped (a second time) at 41w 6d and if that didn't do anything my MW was going to break my water at 42w. 

Labor started on it's own 3am on 41w 6d.

imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My OB was AWESOME w/every item on my birthing preferences expect the fact that I was ok going 42 weeks...he did not want me to go past 41 weeks. (so I compromised and said ok).  Luckily DS arrived at 40 weeks 5 days and I avoided the already scheduled induction!
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • My MW is okay with waiting until 43 weeks as long as NSTs and amniotic fluid look good, but if I go past 42 weeks, I can't give birth at the birth center and have to go to the hospital instead. I'll still have my midwives there but I'd really like to avoid the hospital, so I'm hoping she comes before 42 weeks!

• Mine let me go 42 weeks. I was literally 1 day away from induction before I went into labor on my own.
    BabyFruit TickerimageimageimagePhotobucket
  • I'm with an OB practice.  A couple of the doctors said 10 days max, but I found 2 that said 14 days so I had the induction scheduled when I had appointments with one of them.  I have until next Monday night before I have to report to the hospital.
  • 42 weeks is the suggested limit at my birthing centre, but they will let you go longer if that's what you wish (assuming all is well with you and baby).

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Assuming a positive result on BPPs, she wouldn't recommend induction based on date. With that said, she has been in practice for 22 years and has had only 2 (both ftm's) who went to 42.5 weeks and they are the longest gestation she has seen.
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"