Military Families
Options

A money ?

We're not quite enlisted yet, still in the process.  But I'm wondering if the money situation is as bad as some people say it is.  It seems to me like we'll be doing better than we are now, so I'm kind of wondering if we'll really need to tighten our belts or not.

Anyone? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: A money ?

• Options
    i would look at a pay calculator to calculate your pay and bah. it is different for each rank and location

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    if he is an e2 out of basic he will make 1645 a month base pay

Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Loading the player...
  • Options

image"">

• Options
    Quite frankly, I think people who are unable to live comfortably are being irresponsible with their money. DH was an E-3 when we got married. We lived just fine. It is all a out living within your means, and that is a concept many young families in the military just don't comprehend.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLissa832:
    Quite frankly, I think people who are unable to live comfortably are being irresponsible with their money. DH was an E-3 when we got married. We lived just fine. It is all a out living within your means, and that is a concept many young families in the military just don't comprehend.
    This and it depends on where you're stationed.. At Beale AFB in Cali half of the base housing was shut down due to black mold and higher enlisted were taking priority in the housing, which sucks because they have more money for housing then an Airman does. This was at the height of the economic down fall about 3 years ago and gas was up over $4 a gallon. You just have to be diligent and budget budget budget!! It was TIGHT for circumstances but we survived :)
    Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It can be tight if you let it, but just make well thought out decisions & budget your money. DH & I married & entered the military at 18 & 19 years old. We bought our first car with no help from family, and totally got screwed. We were smart about what kind of payment we wanted, but let a sales person convince us that we couldn't get what we were asking for since we had basically no credit. Because of that car payment, we've struggled, but we hardly ever splurge and we make it. Thankfully, DH got a sign on bonus that we received in 3 different installments, and that helped getting us needed things like a washer & dryer, a good couch, etc. We spent money on what we needed before buying what we wanted. :) Oh! & a good tip for buying things you "need": Ask yourself "What will happen if I don't buy this right now?" If the answer is "Nothing", then you don't necessarily need it. Good luck & welcome to the military life! I wish you guys the best!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i'm learning about budgeting quick fast & in a hurry! H is an E1 in the Marine's. we have a daughter, so dependent wise it's a little bit more $$...but we're making our 1st move, and i've become that crazy coupon mom. it's just one of those sacrifices H & I have to make to ensure that our daughter has everything she needs. It's hard to go from being able to buy anything (i'm exaggerating a bit) to really have to limit yourself to what you buy (total truth) & i've always had a shopping problem...it might get difficult, but you just have to make smart judgement on what's being purchased!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Thanks for all your responses.  H has a degree so they say he'll be an E-3.  Currently it seems like our expenses are less than the base pay, but we live with family right now so we don't pay rent or util.  It seems like we'll be okay, but I'm kind of a worry wart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageLissa832:
    ... that is a concept many young families in the military just don't comprehend.

Ding ding ding.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is a good idea to have as much money saved as you can. Military pay has been known to get screwed up. Your DH's first paycheck *might* get delayed. It is better to have as much money, in savings, to cover your bills, if needed.

Also, when you move to your DH's first duty assignment, there may be things that you need to purchase. Just before we moved into post housing for the first time, it dawned on me that we were going to need to buy a washer and dryer. Prior to this, we'd always lived in apartments that either provided w/d in the unit or a laundry room. Sure, you can always go to the laundry mat, but having a w/d is awfully nice.

You never know what you might need. If you are a one car family, you might want/need a second car. If you get a new job, you might need new work clothes. It is always a good idea to have money to cover unknowns, but especially so with the military. You may be living all the way across the country from your family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageemolm:

imageLissa832:
    ... that is a concept many young families in the military just don't comprehend.

Ding ding ding.

ITA on the living within your means.  Right now we have three months of expenses saved up and I will be living with family during bootcamp and A School, so that should give me a chance to save some more.  Due to a family and economic disaster last year we have become VERY good at living within our means (thank goodness we had that four months of income saved up).  I have been a SAHM for the last year and a half with DH working minimum wage jobs and we've still somehow been able to save.

We're a little older than your average new enlisted family and we have a little life experience under our belts.  I think we'll be fine, but I always have nagging doubts. 

• Options
    You will be fine.. :)  Spend smart, save save save, and live within your means..... go by those and you won't have a problem!
  • Options

imagehales.21:
    You will be fine.. :)  Spend smart, save save save, and live within your means..... go by those and you won't have a problem!

Thank you. 

• Options
    Some may disagree with me. . . But, once you have your military ID, if you live near a base/post with a commissary, you can typically save by shopping there. Not everything is less expensive, but many things are. Just a tip to help further build your savings!

Good luck to you and your family!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageLissa832:

I agree.  You can make it... And there are financial planners on base to help you get set up, you just have to take advantage of the perks the military has to offer. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagewearsunscreen:

imageLissa832:

I agree.  You can make it... And there are financial planners on base to help you get set up, you just have to take advantage of the perks the military has to offer. 

... and my husband and I live off base for LESS THAN our BAH so we use the rest for utilities and have some left over... so don't think you HAVE to live on base, because you don't and sometimes it makes more sense not to.   :)  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"