Pregnant after 35

IUI Question

Posted this on the TTC after 35 and someone suggest I ask this board.  Just got AF this morning after failed IUI #2.  So DH and I are going to take a month off until trying IUI #3 and then not sure if we should move on to IVF.  I have heard that most people move on to IVF after 3 unsuccessful IUIs. Any experience with success after 3 IUIs? 

TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IUI Question

• I have no experience with IUI but I think I remember my RE  when going over all of our options saying that if after IUI fails 2 times it is time to move on to IVF. It just may be that practice and their philosophy? 

Sending postitive thoughts your way.  I know how hard this is for you and your DH. 

Maybe one of the ladies on here has some better info for you.

Good Luck! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • According to my RE, it wasn't just the IUI, it was the protocol that we used.  She had said that we would try one protocol for a couple times and then switch it up.  Since we were unexplained and my DH was terrified of multiples, this for us, meant starting with Femara alone.  We did this for 3 cycles, 2 IUI's.  On the second IUI they wanted to move us to injectibles, but DH wasn't ready for that.  If the 2nd hadn't worked, we would have kept going with the IUI's trying different protocols.  However, we also weren't willing/able to do IVF so I know that played into what my RE wanted to do. 

Good luck to you!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I had an IUI and was successful on the first try.  I used injectibles, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.  I know that if the first try hadn't worked, I would have gone ahead and moved on to IVF.  But the reason I would have done that after the first try is b/c I have such a low egg count, the docs did not want me going through more cycles wasting more eggs.  So, I think it just depends on the situation.  I know that there is a higher rate of multiples with IVF, but your doctor can do their best to monitor you more closely and try to inseminate you when they see that there is only one mature follicle.  A lot of times there is more than one with IVF, but I think that is just the chance you might have to take.  Good luck and I'm sure it will work out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ::: raises hand :::

we did several (5 i think) IUIs with different stim medications - had 1 cp, the rest were neg.

the cycle i got pg was an unmedicated IUI - my fsh and some other number was too high for stims, so i just did acupuncture, monitoring and IUI.

that being said, IVF was not an option for us ... but everything related to IUI (meds, monitoring, etc) are covered 100% by insurance.  so my plan was to continue with IUI until i got pg or couldn't handle it emotionally.  of course i'm happy with the outcome.

• After 1 failed round of IUI we were told that I wasn't really responding well to the meds/injections.  I only produced 3 eggs and only 1 of those was viable.  We put it in, but it didn't take...

My doctor didn't think IVF was a good option for us because she said that the meds would be the same and if I wasn't producing enough eggs (my FSH level was high) it would be a waste of money.  She suggested we use an egg donor.  

After a lot of thought, we decided to try an egg donor, and she produced 10 eggs -- but only 3 made it to implantation day.  I didn't get pregnant...

We were going to try again this summer (using a different egg donor), but miraculously I became pregnant on my own.  My Dr. put me on progesterone suppositories for the 1st trimester.  I am now 24 weeks along and everything is going well.   

I would only do another round of IUI if you were getting a lot of eggs with it.  Otherwise, you may want to ask about switching up the meds.  I have heard/read that some women react better to some meds more than others. 

• imageMrsJordanalmond:

::: raises hand :::

we did several (5 i think) IUIs with different stim medications - had 1 cp, the rest were neg.

the cycle i got pg was an unmedicated IUI - my fsh and some other number was too high for stims, so i just did acupuncture, monitoring and IUI.

that being said, IVF was not an option for us ... but everything related to IUI (meds, monitoring, etc) are covered 100% by insurance.  so my plan was to continue with IUI until i got pg or couldn't handle it emotionally.  of course i'm happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the insight Ladies!  MrsJordan, taking this month off and thinking of doing acupuncture.  How many sessions a cycle did you do?  At certain times?  Just starting the education on it... 

TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
    Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
    7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
    beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
    7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i did once a week ... probably doesn't matter when you start ... just get started. 

the place i went to specializes in fertility and the provider i saw asked a lot of questions about where i was in my cycle, what meds, etc.  tx was given as appropriate.  depending on your dx and if you are doing IVF, they may recommend doing 2x week.

i started mid february ... got pg the next month.  based on my gut only, i think it was the accupunture that pushed me over the edge.  good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"