Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

ikea gulliver crib question

My husband and I were planning to get a crib from someone but that fell through at the last minute. After reading great things about the ikea gulliver crib (which ikea is not currently selling) I found one on craigslist in the color we want (white) that's about 3 years old. I'm just wondering if this is a good purchase or if we should try to buy something brand new, or newer than 3 years old? Any help is great!

Re: ikea gulliver crib question

• Options
    I don't think buying a used crib is necessarily bad if you know the product well and it's been kept up, but I can tell you that the Gulliver crib has been recalled at all IKEA locations and they are coming out with a new version really soon which will be $99. I would just wait, because they may have made a few improvements that you wish you had.Not sure which model they are selling, but I know the really old version had the drop side, which is not recommendedl. I personally would rather have my baby sleep in a new crib that I know has passed all the safety inspections, but that's just me. Although, my friend has this crib and she loves it, it's holding up really well 2 years later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    From what I've read, buying a used crib is not recommended as they won't meet the latest standards and are likely out of warranty.  There are many other affordable cribs out there if you don't want to wait until Ikea's are back on sale, we are happy with our Graco Laurens which were on sale for <$130.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't usually post on this board, but I called Ikea today and the customer service guy said they won't be selling again in the US until late November/early December.  I'm bummed because our little guy is due in November!  DH and I are going with the Graco Lauren crib.

• Options
    Since the new crib regs went into effect in June, it's actually illegal to sell a used crib that does not comply with the new standards (the Gulliver does not - I have one).  I would absolutely buy a new crib.  Link to CPSC's press release: https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11074.html

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"