High-Risk Pregnancy

Can someone tell me about cerclage

Sorry for intruding I stay on the PgAL board. I am almost 20 weeks and I made the mistake of using Google. Can somebody with a cerclage around 20 weeks give me some advice on what to expect I am a little afraid. A lady on PgAL gave me a website but it's all technical and right now I need the dummy version. TIA

Amber

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Can someone tell me about cerclage

• Im assuming you are needing one? What questions do you have like about procedure afterwards? What exactly do you want to know Ill be glad to help
    • It all depends on my u/s tomorrow. I have been having contractions for a while and I finally went to the ER. I was dilated a fingertip only but the Dr told me because after like 7 hours I was still dilated and they said if felt like I was opening more. Everything I read is about 12-15 weeks pregnant and I read the risks. One of the risk was pPROM. Which is the reason I lost my twins back in Dec but then too I was dilated only a fingertip for a around 2-3 weeks.

• I really don't know what my question is. I guess how does it affect your day to day life? Can you move around? How long do you keep it in? Is your delivery scheduled because of it? Does your doctor monitor your cervix afterwards regularly?
    •  
    • Okay I guess I had a lot of questions. I go to my OB tomorrow. My H won't be with me. Is this procedure done in the hospital or office? Does somebody need to drive me home afterwards?

• Anything you think I might have missed and need to know I would appreciate it. Oh one more. Being 20 weeks and not 12-15 does that make this any higher risk to my LO? I realize I need to ask my OB this and I will but I really prefer experience over anything. TIA

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

• Loading the player...
  • No problem I know how you feel I have lost four preg so I know what your going through two second trimester due to pProm. Im guessing they are going to do cervical length check on you to determine if you need one? Well my first preg I lost my son at 18 wks due to Incompetant cervix pPromed. So they found out I had two blood clotting disorders mthfr and factor 5 leiden so next preg they wanted me to be on a bld thinner and they wanted to put in a preventative cerclage. We got pregnant but lost baby ay 10 weeks no hb. Got preg 6 months later at 14 wks they put in the prevenative cerclage I was so nervous did not know what to expect Well basically for a cervical cerclage they give you an epidural numb you completly waist down if it is an emergent cerclage which in your case sounds like it is depends on your length and what they have to work with if your membranes are buldging. oh you are in hosp outpatient usually inpatient if they want to monitor you. They check your blood pressure during procedure give you fluids in iv and antibiotics. The dr puts your legs in leg holders and then puts speculum in stitches it up usually mcdonald stitch is most common you are awake but whole thing takes about 15 mins. You go to recovery and they monitor your bld press and see if your having contractions, and when your not numb anymore. If all looks good they let you go home. So I had it done now I know I had bad drs this is what I believe anyway. Two weeks later I had alot of leaking and went in my water broke due to the dr puncturing my bag during the surgery, lost my son at 16 wks. We waited almost two years before we tried again. I got preg this time around with twins. I lost twin A at 9 wks but twin B was doing good. I knew before I got preg I wanted to do bed rest because I was deadly afraid of doing another cerclage. So my bed rest journey started at 13 weeks at 14 wks my cl shortened to a 2.8 we knew this would happen so from 14-19 my cl was any where from 3.5-2.5 my dr warned me if my cl got to a 2.5 I would need a cerclage cause bed rest was not working. Oh they started me on 17p shots starting 16 wks. So at 19 weeks it was a 2.5 with funneling. I faced another surgery was deathly afraid but I explained my fear to the drs they said they would ck my cl before surgery and to see where my water bag was so they could avoid it. Well I had a yeast inf so they did not want to do surgery until it cleared up so off I went home trying to clear up inf. Two days later I had really bad groin pain went back they cked my cervix it shortened again 1.7 they did.not want to wait so off I went dr placed stitch above old stitch he could see the scar so he placed it higher he wanted to do two stiches but could only do one. My recovery was alot diff this time around not sure if it was cause I was 20 wks but man I had alot of pain lasted a week tmi but alot of mucus they say it is normal. Well here I am 29 wks and they only thing holding my son in is the stitch I have funneled to the stitch. I had a scare at 26 wks contractions they gave me steriod shot
  • In case lo came early thankfully he is still cooking. My dr will take stitches out at 36 wks in office. Then they say from there you usually go into labor. There are more risk when your farther along but if that's the only thing to save lo then do it as you have read I had a bad expierence early on. Cerclage risks Rupture of membranes, infection. After cerclage I was on strict bed rest again and still on br. GL I hope this helped
  • Thanks. I am sorry for your losses. They are hard to bare. I am going to get it if I need it but I am so scared of my water breaking again.

• I hear ya I was to but I think with the cerclage bed rest and the 17p shots I wouldnt have made it this far
  • one thing I will add in addition to the information the girls shared....ask what kind of stitch your high risk dr will use...the flat ribbon/tape or the wire.  I had both...ribbon w/DD and wire (WIRES..yes 2 stitches...he wanted one for back up) w/DS.  Removing the ribbon was a little uncomfortable (done in the office no anesthesia) and had some minor cramping...removing the wires...I thought I was going to die (and remember I had 2 to remove...he did tell me when he placed them that I am secure like Fort Knox....he wasn't kidding!!). It was a million times worse than delivering a 9.6 lb baby in an hour w/no meds (that was a piece of cake!).  My OB said that he has had to remove my high risk dr's cerclages before and they are so tough.  The wire is thinner so it embeds itself in the cervical tissue making it hard to loosen and pull out.  This time I mentioned my concern to my OB and he said maybe we can request the ribbon (they are both just as safe according to him) if not maybe I will look into a different high risk dr this time.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"