Pregnant after IF
Options

Question about Growth Scan

So I'm having my first growth scan tomorrow and I'm just curious what it's like.  What do they do for it?  Is it 3D?  How long do they normally last?  I'm excited to see Piper again, just wish it was for different circumstances:(  I get my glucometer tomorrow as well and then the diabetes educator is going to call me and do a phone consult since she's out on a medical emergency.  Hoping my baby girl isn't too big already!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about Growth Scan

• Options
    I've had several already and I know mine are a much longer because I have twins, and one with growth issues.  Usually mine last an hour to an hour and half.  Sometimes I have to change positions because one baby is in a strange position and sometimes I need a break to empty my bladder.  Usually the tech will scan each little part of the baby, at different angles, and then put the measurements in the computer.  They have also looked at my fluid levels and taken those measurements.  Mine have typically been in regular 2D, once it was switched over to 3D for a better look at one of the hearts, but that was just at the first one.  Each time, I the doctor come in at the end and make sure the tech got all the measurements and take another quick look at any issues.  After that, I meet with the dr and he goes over everything and all the ratios, measurements, etc with me.  For me, it was just like a regular u/s, but more detailed.  Good luck!
    TTC #1 since 4/09
    2/21/11: IVF #1 Begins and results in TWINS!
    11/4/11: The twins are born at 36w4d!
    11/5/11: We said goodbye to our sweet baby girl as she was born with multiple complications and a severe heart defect, Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for asking, I've been meaning to ask b/c I have to have one on Thursday to check our little girl's growth.  She was measuring average to big at every u/s, but this last one she measured smaller... they want to make sure it's not a placenta issue and check that she's not falling off the growth charts.  Hoping it was just a fluke and our little girl is still growing well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBread09:
    I've had several already and I know mine are a much longer because I have twins, and one with growth issues.  Usually mine last an hour to an hour and half.  Sometimes I have to change positions because one baby is in a strange position and sometimes I need a break to empty my bladder.  Usually the tech will scan each little part of the baby, at different angles, and then put the measurements in the computer.  They have also looked at my fluid levels and taken those measurements.  Mine have typically been in regular 2D, once it was switched over to 3D for a better look at one of the hearts, but that was just at the first one.  Each time, I the doctor come in at the end and make sure the tech got all the measurements and take another quick look at any issues.  After that, I meet with the dr and he goes over everything and all the ratios, measurements, etc with me.  For me, it was just like a regular u/s, but more detailed.  Good luck!

Ah:) Thanks!  I hope to get to see her for a good bit tomorrow.  She's usually pretty uncooperative so I hope she at least lets them get what they need.  It's going to be crazy to see the difference from 21 weeks to 31 weeks though! 

• Options

imageSunshine05:
    Thanks for asking, I've been meaning to ask b/c I have to have one on Thursday to check our little girl's growth.  She was measuring average to big at every u/s, but this last one she measured smaller... they want to make sure it's not a placenta issue and check that she's not falling off the growth charts.  Hoping it was just a fluke and our little girl is still growing well!

Good luck at yours on Thursday!  I hope she's just fine, which she probably is.  They just like to keep us on our toes;P

• Options
    imageMegannJay:

imageSunshine05:

Good luck at yours on Thursday!  I hope she's just fine, which she probably is.  They just like to keep us on our toes;P

haha, how true that already is!  Thanks and good luck at yours tomorrow!  Make sure to update us on Piper!  I love her name.  :)

• Options

Mine was a shortened version of the 20 week anatomy scan...  I think she measured head size, belly size, checked for major organs, and measured a few key bones.  Oh, and she checked for fluid levels, and perhaps cervical length. My 20 week scans always lasted like an hour and a half,  and I think my growth scan was more like 45 minutes?    

good luck!!!   hope Piper looks absolutely perfect!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Are growth scans normal to have? I haven't had one and my OB hasn't mentioned one either when I asked when  my next u/s will be. I haven't had a scan since the A/S at 18 weeks and that seems odd to me!

• Options
    imagecbubbles2:

Are growth scans normal to have? I haven't had one and my OB hasn't mentioned one either when I asked when  my next u/s will be. I haven't had a scan since the A/S at 18 weeks and that seems odd to me!

It's not, I have gestational diabetes (just diagnosed last week) so they want to see how big she is right now.  I guess as a baseline?  I'm not sure what the monitoring will be like from now on but I think I'll probably just have another one towards the end and see how big she is then.  I know they will want to take her if she starts to get too big.   

• Options

Just a tip...know that the growth ultrasound is just an estimate on what they think the size is. I had gestational diabetes as well, and my belly was measuring big through the second half of my pregnancy. I had a growth ultrasound at 34 weeks, where they estimated her size to be 5lbs11oz. They said she was on track to weigh roughly 8 and a half pounds at birth. We were prepared for a large baby. I gave birth one week early, and she only weighed 6lbs8oz. So, the growth ultrasound was WAY off.

Good luck controlling your GD. Keep it in check, and you should have nothing to worry about! 

SAIFW
  • Options
    Thanks... I'll definitely keep that in mind!  Ellie is so cute:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"