Natural Birth
Options

Home birth

My husband and I have deicded to have a home birth. Which I am so excited about! My mom had two of her six kids at home and says that they were by far the best deliveries she had. My older sister just had her 3rd daughter at home and said it was amazing. Everything is going great and as planned. I love my mid wife! I'm low risk, and I can hardly wait. However there is one little glitch. I live in an apartment. My husband and I were hoping to move into a house before the birth but it just isn't looking like that will happen. So I have two options.

One, my parents have offered to let me have the baby at their house. Two, I can have it here in my apartment. The problem is my husband thinks that it's weird to have the baby in our apartment. He's worried neighbors may hear or something like that. He much prefers the idea of my parents house. I prefer our own home, because well it's my house and one of the reasons I want to have a home birth is so I can be in my own comfort zone. Plus I am a little weirded out at the idea of my dad being in the house while I give birth. 

Basically I'm wondering if other people think it would be weird to have the baby in our apartment? What are your thoughts on it?

tiana

Re: Home birth

• Options
    Yes, everyone will think it's weird to have your baby at home.  It doesn't matter if it's your apartment or your parent's house.  If YOU are most comfortable in your apartment, that's where you should have the baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, my boyfriend and I are having the baby at his parents' house because there's no midwives where we live (we live in a ski town in the mountains where the only option would be a hospital birth . . . and with only one hospital to choose from, at that). So, we've been living in the suburbs for the past few weeks and will be here for a week after the birth.

Now, if geography wasn't a factor, I would absolutely be in my own condo to give birth. Who cares about the neighbors? It's such a comfort to be in your own living space. If you have the baby at your parents' house, you might be there for a few days after the birth. Wouldn't you rather spend that time in your own room bonding with your new little family? Ultimately though, the decision needs to be what makes you the most comfortable because that will lead to the best outcome for you and your baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the neighbors at all!  The worst part of my first labor was the car ride to the hospital (which we had to do twice as I was sent home the first time).  My favorite part of having a home birth was not having to go anywhere!  Everyone came to us and it was perfect. 

This is all about you and what you're most comfortable with.  Tell YH to get over it :) and do what's most comfortable for you.

imageimage 
  • Options
    Just warn your neighbor's so they don't think you're getting attacked or something.  I say, do it where you're comfortable.  I know trying to get in the car within a few days after was extremely painful for me and I had no tearing.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Im planning a homebirth (any day now!) and I live in an apartment.  Personally, Im not worried about the neighbors at all.  We happen to have very loud neighbors downstairs, and the few hours they might hear noise from me is nothing compared to the noise I put up with from them.  That, and I don't really think birth is usually all that noisy.  If there is any screaming, its usually only right at the very very end, and maybe for a few pushes as the head crowns.  So I didn't really think it could be an issue.  My bigger concern was that if I have to transfer we live in a 3rd floor walk up (no elevator) but my midwife said its ok. 
  • Options

imagestahlop:
    Just warn your neighbor's so they don't think you're getting attacked or something.  I say, do it where you're comfortable.  I know trying to get in the car within a few days after was extremely painful for me and I had no tearing.

this is what we did. we live in a town house with very thin walls and neighbors on both sides. we told the neighbors we were planning a homebirth with both babies. the first birth didn't actually happen at home (c/s), but i did labor for two days at home. the second birth was so quiet that no one knew!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"