Baby Showers
Options

Typing Thank You's?

I had my shower a few weeks ago and really want to get my thank you notes out before I have the baby.  But due to my swelling, my hand goes numb anytime I grip something...especially a pen.  I can still type pretty easily, though.  Would it be way too tacky to type each note and put it in the card?  I was thinking that I could write about how thankful we are and how much we're going to enjoy what the person got us, and then a little note as to why it's not hand written.  

I just don't want people to think that I'm not grateful or that I've forgotten and am afraid that I will forget if I wait till after I have LO and the swelling goes down! 

TIA! 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
"Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."
~Dr. Suess
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Typing Thank You's?

• Options

Type written is acceptable, hand written is preferred. I would not put an explanation in as to why the card is typed, though. 

I have the same issue w/ my hands. I am thankful my shower was in my 2nd tri before I had the issue.  I have received a few gifts lately, and I can handle writing 1 or 2 cards per day, but there's no way I could do 30-40.

• Options

I'd ask your husband to write them.  Or wait until after-baby and send them with a photo.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As long as you keep the message well personalized and not generic (ie avoid "Thanks for coming" and stick with "It was was wonderful to see you and the X item you brought will be ideal for Y situations" etc.).

I would hand-sign the cards at the end if you can manage that. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageILoveRedVino:

I'd ask your husband to write them.  Or wait until after-baby and send them with a photo.

Love this idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd have no issue w/ this. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageDiademChi:

As long as you keep the message well personalized and not generic (ie avoid "Thanks for coming" and stick with "It was was wonderful to see you and the X item you brought will be ideal for Y situations" etc.).

I would hand-sign the cards at the end if you can manage that. 

This.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageasyph107:
    imageILoveRedVino:

Love this idea.

Yes Definitely this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Agreed that typed is fine and handwritten is preferred.  Go ahead and type them and get them in the mail.

DO NOT wait until the baby is born.  Your shower was several weeks ago and you're not due for a few more weeks - you'd be sending TY notes at least a month (and maybe as long as 6 weeks) after the shower.  Get them in the mail now and be done with it.

• Options

Type if you must but at least hand sign them.

Get your DH to write them out if he's neat (or can be neat if he tries).

DO NOT wait until after the baby is born. They'll just keep being put off until eventually they're completely abandoned. Finish them off and send them out now while you still have time.

• Options

Ideally I want a hand written thank you. I completely get where you are coming from though.

I think DH should step up and take this task. I also think your mom, sister, MIL, etc is acceptable to help.

I don't think I'd be as upset with the typed thank you if it was very specific about the actually person you're writting to.

As long as it doesn't look like a letter from corporate and it's still heartfelt then I'm sure it's more than acceptable!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ask your husband to write them out for you.  I disagree that they should be typed if your husband has messy handwriting.  Hell, I have terrible handwriting, it doesn't take away from the quality of the note.  And do it right away, don't wait until after the baby is born.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

Thanks everyone!

I think I will go ahead and type them and keep it very personalized so they do know it's from the heart and not just copied and pasted.  

I like the idea of my DH doing it, but he wouldn't put much effort into it and I really do want my friends and family to know how grateful I am. 

My swelling was discussed at the shower since I had just been put on bed rest, so I'm sure most everyone would understand...

Thanks again! 

8418442352_4e02174cbd_o
    "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."
    ~Dr. Suess
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Handwritten is definitely preferred, but as PPs said- as long as it's not a generic printout of the same statement to each guest I think it's passable.  Make specific mention of the person, their gift, etc... so it's obviously not generic.  Also agreed about hand-signing, even if you can only do one or two a day! It's a little extra touch to personalize it.  

I would ask DH to help before I resorted to typing, though... 

• Options

I was extremely swollen with my second baby (couldn't even wear shoes) and I still wrote out thank yous when we got gifts.  Just do a couple at a time and then a couple more and so on.  If I got a typed thank you I would think the MTB was being lazy.  If you simply cannot do it...have your DH do it and you could sign it.  There really is no excuse not to hand write a thank you note...unless of course you or your DH have broken hands/fingers.

Guess I am in the minority because it really would bother me. 

• Options
    imageILoveRedVino:

Great idea!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"