Adoption
Options

Can you adopt twins from China?

My sister has adopted children from China and Taiwan, but it's been a few years since she was going through the adoption process. At the time, adopting twins from China was possible. But, I've recently been told that China separates twins. I would really appreciate any resources/articles that resolve this question. Not yet ready to reach out to an agency - trying to do some research first before making that step. Thanks!

Re: Can you adopt twins from China?

• Options
    It has been a while since my family were involved in the adoption process. My little sister was adopted on 05. At that point, they were adopting out twins together, but was rare. We requested twins, but didn't get them. FWIW, we used Living Hope Adoption Agency - outside of Phili, but they were doing adoptions for families in other states. Since the Beijing Olympics Chinese adoptions are taking a lot longer. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

An agency may actually be the perfect way to find out. They should have some stats at their fingertips to let you know what the wait is like, whether adopting twins is an option, and how often it happens.

Just my 2c from someone who did not adopt internationally. DH had a co-worker who adopted about 18 months ago, and it took her 4 years to adopt a singleton. After the China earthquake adoptions slowed down significantly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

"Significantly" is definitely the right word.  On various adoption listservs, there are PAPs who have been waiting 5 years or more for a non-SN referral from China.  Per chinaadoptionforecast.com, the referrals issued by the central adoption authority in China on 7/28/11 were to families whose dossiers had been registered on or before 7/11/2006 -- more than 5 years prior... 

Just something to keep in mind as you investigate options.

• Options

Yes, Chinese adoption is slow... unless you're open to special needs.  Keep in mind that this term is very subjective.  Both of my kiddos were special needs adoptions and one is the healthiest kid in the family. (the other has medical needs that we knew about.) If you are open to special needs, the wait can be dramatically reduced.  I know families that were matched as soon as their HS and dossier were completed.  That said, twin adoption, from what I've seen are very rare.  My understanding it that when there are twins available, China is very selective in who they choose, usually going with higher income families, families where there will be one parent who doesn't work, etc.  That was how it appeared 2 or 3 years ago. 

• Options
    This reply has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS

• Options
    image4LittleDucks:

Yes, Chinese adoption is slow... unless you're open to special needs.  Keep in mind that this term is very subjective.  Both of my kiddos were special needs adoptions and one is the healthiest kid in the family. (the other has medical needs that we knew about.) If you are open to special needs, the wait can be dramatically reduced.  I know families that were matched as soon as their HS and dossier were completed.  That said, twin adoption, from what I've seen are very rare.  My understanding it that when there are twins available, China is very selective in who they choose, usually going with higher income families, families where there will be one parent who doesn't work, etc.  That was how it appeared 2 or 3 years ago. 

This is consistent with what I have heard about twin adoptions as well.

• Options
    This post has been edited by a moderator
    to remove the redirecting hyperlink spam

PLEASE STOP SPAMMING THE BOARDS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"