Special Needs
Options

Fave toys/ things that act as toys for niece

She is not able to sit, reaches out involuntarily with hands and does not speak. She also has sight issues....don;t believe she can see things that are near. I am stumped on what to get and want to get her something she can really get use from. Any things you may have seen at physical therapy. She has not yet been diagnosed...tests are being done, but we know her brain is not growing at the normal rate and there is definitely something going on with her musles....which they're doing a biopsy on this week.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fave toys/ things that act as toys for niece

• Options

How old is she?

If she is a baby, I would think various baby toys would work.  Anything with bright colors and that would make noise if she batted it with her hands or feet.  

What about something to do with music?  Maybe a kids CD player and 2 or 3 childrens CD's for her bedroom.

I don't know if you can buy them without taking the classes (on ebay maybe?) but Music Together CD's are great. 

• Options

My nephew has limited sight, and sees things that are far away better (he has aniridia, where his eyes have no irises to control the amount of light coming in). 

SIL found that he was able to see things with high contrast (black and white). She bought black-and-white toys of some sort to hang on her curtains, and also had a black-and-white play mat for him (I think Tiny Love makes one?).  

My mom made him a quilt with lots of black and white mixed with bright colors -- the ones she makes are more like wall-hangings than bed quilts, not anything fluffy. SIL used that with him during tummy time when he was little, and he was so interested in looking at it that he tolerated his PT significantly better. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"