Hawaii Babies
Options

potty training Q

J has probably uses the toilet 90% of the time for #2.  Because of that I take his notification seriously but in the past couple of days he has been using it at times he doesn't have to go just for fun.

(like when he wants down from his chair at the table but we are not done eating or at bedtime when he wants one more book)

The nighttime one is really hard - last night he asked 3 times.  He went and climbed in his bed and babbled for a while and then started in with: mama? dada? and when that didn't work he resorted to "poo poo" and then DH went in and let him go use the potty.  The last attempt he did actually pee, so it wasn't a complete waste and we felt like we had to celebrate the fact he peed so I couldn't help but think we were maybe reinforcing his stall tactic.  But the other two times he just wanted to read another book and sing songs.

Is this a phase or is there something I should be doing differently or just ignoring his request when I think he is just asking in order to stall or get out of doing something he doesn't want to do? 

He is doing it at school too.  They do not have a toilet for the 12-24 mo room so when he asks to go they need to get a floater and take him to the 24-36mo room.  Once he started just using the request as an opportunity to get a little side trip to the other room they let me know that they wouldn't be able to keep taking him at every request and instead will just offer the toilet at 2-3 set times :(

Re: potty training Q

• Options
    someone at work emailed about this (to the moms list) the same day you posted.  her 23 mo old is waking up at 3:30am saying she needs to poop, but then doesn't.  i keep watching the thread to see if she gets any advice, but no one has responded!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

thanks!!  really curious to see what other say.

He definitely knows what he's doing...  Last night I took him to chipotle (by myself!) for dinner before his gymnastics class and as soon as he was settled into the highchair and ready to eat he told me he needed to poop.  It's not unusual for him to need to go before or after dinner these days so I took him (had to leave our food unattended) and all he did was sit there and want to play with the TP. When I reminded him why we were in there ("you told me you needed to poopoo") he strained a little (ended up peeing a tiny bit) and then said all done. ack. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    not sure about other kids, but in my personal experience, it is totally a phase.  at least for the night time routine.... she uses other methods to stall around bedtime now but thankfully doesn't use the potty excuse anymore.  (when she did ask, I always took her b/c of course I didn't want to have her pee/poop in her pants...and it didn't seem to create any problems long term). she still uses that excuse ALL.THE.TIME when she wants to get out of her high chair during meals, so I am still waiting for her to outgrow that one!
  • Options

thanks Jaime.

This weekend I really started saying no to his requests.  If I didn't think it was reasonably likely that he would go I would say no, are you sure?  And then drop it.  If he asked again i would say the same thing.  He only once really did have to go and he kind of started making faces and getting upset.  So I took him, explained that I was sorry I didn't listen but since he tells me he has to go when he doesn't need to it's hard to tell when he's serious  (hope he understood even 25% of that...) Tonight he was really tired so he went right to sleep but hopefully it's sinking it.

The out and about ones are the worst!! 

• Options
    I think they understood more than we think they do - they are so manipulative!!!  i'm glad that he is starting to understand that he can't cry wolf.  I still have trouble conveying that sometimes......and like you said, it's so hard to say no when  you're trying to potty train!  hope he gets better about crying wolf....but I think the night time stalling is definitely just a phase :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"