North Carolina Babies
Options

NC Ladies- who CDs?

I know there is a CD board, but I thought I'd ask here too.  Who CDs, especially for 0-6 months?  I've been doing a lot of research and would like to have a list together to have a stash to get us through the first 5 or 6 months.  Also would like to know what your wash routine is, what detergent, etc.

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: NC Ladies- who CDs?

• Options

There are lots of ladies on here who CD. Here is a link to some very helpful posts from Alchris, its a good place to get started!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/8410739.aspx 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options

This is our first (and last) child to CD. We are using newborn prefolds (we have 24 with 5 covers) along with a few fitteds and AIOs right now. We use Tide for detergent and wash about every other day.  I LOVE lurking on the CD board. I've learned quite a bit from the ladies on that board.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jennandtonica CD's her triplets. ..she has written the details on her blog.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Both my girls use CDs (or least DD#1 did until she potty trainied) since birth.  At birth we used kissaluvs newborn size 0 and prowrap covers.  Around 3-4 mo. we switched to BumGenius pocket diapers.  Most of them I now use hemp inserts in them but some I still have microfiber inserts.  They've held up well for having used them with two kids.  I will CD with this one also, although I'll need to get some new inserts -- the hemp ones are wearing out (pockets and microfiber are still fine).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use pre-folds (from GreenMountainDiapers.com) with Thirsties covers.  I also have some FuzziBunz and BumGenius.  For nighttime I've started using fitted diapers with wool covers - its really the only thing that works against leaks.  I also wash about every 2 days using Tide, occasionally doing an overnight soak with Funk Rock detergent.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

we cd'd ds from 6 months on, and used prefolds during the day and pockets at night.  now he is peeing through the prefolds so we're using mostly pockets now. 

we are cding dd so this is my first time cding a newborn, but we're using mostly prefolds for her too.  i prefer wool covers to PUL covers, but i do have several size one thirsties covers which have fit her from the very beginning.  the xs thirsties cover didn't fit her until she was ab a week old.  

i have 36 infant sized prefolds from cottonbabies and maybe 10-15 or so fitted diapers of various brands, and some that i've made. 

i got the fitteds to use for night changes, but so far she really doesn't wake up a whole lot at night, and they're kind of buried under all the prefolds, so i got to the prefolds first. 

between dd and ds i have to wash diapers every day otherwise the load is too big to wash in one load.  but if you're just cding a newborn you could probably do wash every other day and be ok, but you'd need a minimum of 36 diapers to be on the safe side.  i'd recommend at least 4 covers, 6 would probably be better though.  so far *knocks on wood* we haven't had any poopsplosions and haven't had poop get on the covers yet, but that's why i would suggest 6 covers, just in case you do get poopsploisions you'd have enough covers while you waited for the poop ones to dry.

i use a homemade detergent from the eco friendly family blog, if you want the "recipe" let me know and i'll post the link for you.  

my wash routine is 1 cold wash w/2tbs eff soap, 1 hot wash w/1 tbs soap, extra rinse.  and then it takes 2 cycles in the dryer to dry.

• Options

We do!  L will be one next month. 

When she was born we used Kissaluvs size 0.  She wore those until right about 3 months under Thirsties covers.

Now we use BG pretty much exclusively and love them!  I've got friends and family who CD too and we all use different brands so you really have to find what works for you LO.

GL!

• Options

We CD our boys as well.

For the first month, prefolds from GMD and Thirsties covers since they went through so many diapers during that time. Now we use mostly pocket diapers with a few all-in-ones. Mostly Bum Genius and Kawaii Baby, but I have a few Fuzzibuns and a couple Happy Heinys. We like the BG the best.

We use Nellie's detergent, wash every other day with a front-loading washing machine. I do one wash with a pre-rinse & cold/cold, then a second wash hot/cold with an extra rinse. I dry everyone on med/low for 30 min, then the inserts for an additional 20 on high. I try to sun out stains.

I'm excited for you guys, Katie!

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've been CD'ing since she was 6wks old. We went straight to the BG 3.0s & I did a blog post about it when she was around 4months (here & pt 2). Due to my OCD, we've got 32 (4 piles of 8 colors), and that lasts us around 2-3 days before we do laundry. We're a bit lazy, so the dirty ones go in a pail in our laundry room before getting swished in the toilet and dumped into the trash can until laundry. Our usual laundry detergent of choice is dreft, but I'll sometimes shake it up with a dose of the Hard Rock stuff I picked up at Smart Momma's Great Cloth Diaper Change event back in April.

I will say - as a reminder - having CD's in your emergency kit is a fabulous idea. And anyone doing it near the coast might want to check their supply before Friday night. :)

Rae Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We do!

We didn't CD DS until he was a little older, so we didn't use newborn diapers.  For him we used BG 3.0 pockets.  I prefer the aplix, and we used the microfiber inserts without much trouble.  I did have some hemp doublers that I added for overnight, but as far as stink and other mf problems, we didn't really have any of that.  We have a few others, but 99% of our stash are BGs.

For this LO, we will be using KL0's and Thirsties covers until she's big enough for the BG's.  I hope they fit her as well as they did DS. 

For detergent, we used alot of things with DS, mainly b/c I was searching for a good detergent for both CDs and regular laundry.  I was never really able to find something that worked well for both.  I finally settled on Arm n Hammer Senstive for diapers.

This time, I'm trying Rockin Green Hard Rock detergent.  We have hard(ish) water and I used to have to add Calgon to my loads.  So I'm hoping the RNG will cut out that step.  Plus, I love the yummy smells :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We CD with my DS and we did with my DD too. Here are just a couple things to think about:

I use all BG 3.0s and the majority of my CDs are velcro tabs, since I am now on my second baby, the velcro has not held up well at all! I have three BG AIOs that I cannot even use anymore because they will not stay put. So I recommend getting snaps over the velcro. 

Secondly, I bought 24 newborn kissaluvs to use for my DS. I did not start using them until he was around three weeks old (due to his circumcision and the constant poops) and by that time, he was only able to wear them for one day because he was too big (he went straight into the BG 3.0s). He was over 9 pounds when he was born and 12 pounds by 4 weeks, so just something to keep in mind. I hate that I bought all those diapers that he never wore, but luckily I was able to sell them. I may be the only person who had this problem though ;-)

Another thing, my DS has a little extra skin on his private area (they did not get it all when he was circumcised) so during this summer, I have had to be very careful about changing his diaper quite often because if he is in a CD too long, the wetness will really irritate his skin (it has gotten infected twice). I think it is only because it has been so hot and he has that extra skin. But again, something I have learned.

Good luck! I love CDing and am so happy I do it. 

• Options
    narknark member

With DD we did Kissaluv size 0's with thirstie covers for about the first 3 months. Then we did some prefolds until she grew out of her covers...and then we went to Africa for a month and then she started daycare so we kind of gave up and went with all disposables. This time I hope to snatch up a few bigger sizes and keep it going longer.

We put a wet bag in a regular plastic trash can to use as a diaper pail, and washed about every two days. I did a cold rinse, then a warm wash I think, and hung them to dry.

• Options
    We CD!  For the first month we used a combo of GMD prefolds, GMD Workhorse Diapers (fitteds), and Kissaluvs size 0 fitteds with bummis superbrites covers.  When she hit 9 1/2 lbs, we were able to use the bum genius OS, and at 10 lbs she fit into fuzzi buns smalls and OS.  We use Dropps Baby detergent (got it in bulk on Babysteals.com) and we use a wet bag in the Diaper Dekor (originally made to use with disposable liners but can be converted to a trash can).  We wash every other day (the pail size keeps us honest!) with a cold rinse, then a hot wash.  I dry everything (except covers) on medium.
    Our little flower

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"