Georgia Babies

Speaking of Drs

My Ped got the flu shot in so I scheduled DS's appointment. He gets bronchiolitis every winter since birth and it's highly recommended that he get it each year. His 3 yr old check up was DRAMA filled b/c he got a shot. Now I am taking him in on Thursday to get the flu shot. Do you ambush your 3 yr old or tell them a little while before you go and then offer a bribe for good behavior? This is the first year I have had to worry about his reaction and prep him for what's to come. Just curious. If we are out an about and pass the vicinity of the Dr's office I get tears so this is going to be interesting. 
Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Speaking of Drs

• We were taking Lila in for her 4 month at the beginning of the month and saw they had the nasal spray so I did it for Finn, and just told him he would get a spray and then he could have a lollipop. Could you get the spray instead of the shot? If he really freaks out I may not tell him ahead of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't tell him before but just as they are going to administer it, talk about bravery and offer a prize.
  • Loading the player...
  • He can't get the mist he has to get the injection b/c of the bronchiloitis history. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I never tell my kids about shots until right before (seconds) it happens. 
  • Heck no! I never tell Geneva there's a shot coming. I just come prepped with a goodie in my purse for afterward - or I promise ice cream. But AFTER, always after.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah, no way. If you talk it up it he'll have time to get anxious about it.
  • Cadence does better knowing exactly what is going to happen. Her reaction is much worse if it is a surprise. I just tell her once matter of factly that she has to get a shot today and she will get a treat afterwards. If he is very anxious about the doctor's office, like pp's said, you may want to wait until right before to tell him.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• I am asking b/c he knows the way to the office, as in the traffic light where we turn to get to the office and starts freaking out before we even get to the parking lot. Do I lie or skirt the issue? The past 2 times I just say we are going to go see how much you weigh but this time it will be an out right lie. I want him to trust me and not be afraid, I also don't want him to get himself in a dither before we even get there. 
  • imageMrsL1022:
    I am asking b/c he knows the way to the office, as in the traffic light where we turn to get to the office and starts freaking out before we even get to the parking lot. Do I lie or skirt the issue? The past 2 times I just say we are going to go see how much you weigh but this time it will be an out right lie. I want him to trust me and not be afraid, I also don't want him to get himself in a dither before we even get there. 

Gavin has only asked once and we were headed there for Sophie to get shots- not him.  That actually freaks him out more than HIM getting shots :-(  So I lied and told him I wasn't sure... we'd have to see what the Dr said.  It's not a total lie... I mean, the Dr COULD have decided not to do a shot that day...  Oh, and my new lifesaver for Dr's appointments is the gameboy or Leapster.  Keeps him occupied the whole time.  We just talk about how he has to turn it off when the doctor comes in but if he's good, he can have it back afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"