Maine Babies

Anyone worried about vaccinations?

I just finished reading Jenny McCarthy's latest book - and all the information about a connection between autism and vaccinations has me worried.

After a bunch of research, DH and I are considering an alternate vcaccination schedule with DD.  Just wondering if anyone else is considering this, or has done it...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone worried about vaccinations?

• We've discussed it with our pedi. He said that he will do whatever we want. Our pedi said that the mmr shot can be broken uo into 3 shots and that the formula on a lot of the shots have been changed.?

At our next appt we may not give her the pneumococcal & rotavirus vaccines.

I would definitely discuss it with your pedi. ?

• ditto Crazy- talk to your pediatrician and see what he/she says and how you feel about his/her response.  I feel totally comfortable following the AAP suggested schedule, so we'll be going that route, and our pedi strongly suggests we do so.  I really love Jenny McCarthy and applaud her for bringing so much attention to autism and being such an involved/concerned mother (because seriously- would you ever have guessed she would be such a great mom when she was the Singled Out chick??) but I don't agree with the vaccines = autism theories, personally. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. 

Avery had her 1 month appointment today - so we did discuss it with her pedi.  I expected her to be very pro-vaccine and she was.  I asked about breaking up the MMR into 3 shots - and she said that it is very hard to get a hold of the 3 single vaccines and just recommended waiting to give her the combination one. 

I just worry about the amount of vaccines they expect her to have when she's so tiny.  It just seems crazy to me.  I mean really - is there an absolute need to have a vaccination for chicken pox?  There are so many more these days than when we were kids it seems...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We personally will not be giving her the chicken pox vaccine. To me it seems that they really don't have long term studies to show if a lot of these vaccines' efficacy wears off with time.?

DD's pedi said I should get boosters for a things myself because the immunity wears off. So my thought process on the pox vaccine is that if it wears off & she gets chicken pox as an adult, it's worse and she's then still at risk for shingles.

DD's pedi never said anything about the 3 separate ones being hard to find. He was actually very willing to do it for her & only said it might be more traumatic for her since she'd have to have 3 separate shots.

I hope you guys find something that works for you all. If you're not comfy with what your pedi is saying or she won't work with you, then I would find a different pedi personally. You have to be comfy with whatever happens to your child. ?

• We considered an alternative schedule not because of Autism, but because I had an adverse reaction to the DTP shot as a baby.  [They use the DTaP now instead of the DTP.]   

We aren't following an alternative schedule because 1) we discussed it with our pedi and she strongly recommends following the AAP schedule and 2) if we want to put Kate in daycare here, she needs to be up to date on all of her vaccines.     

• We just had our first round of vaccinations today.  Since I haven't gone to med school, I don't feel comfortable changing the schedule or removing dosages from the AAP guidelines.  And every doctor I have spoken to says that there is no scientific link between vacc. and neurological disorders.  Plus, things like mumps and polio scare me. 
  • While I love Jenny McCarthy, I wouldnt follow her book like the bible (not that you are or anything). She's by far no expert!

Also I am following the AAP schedule (I agree with Laustique) however I am going to split the MMR. I dont think she will remember getting 3 shots versus 1 shot at one year old for the rest of her life. =) GL with your decision! =)

• Can I suggest reading the Vaccination Book by Dr. Sears?  There are lots of differing opinions on this one and I was all for the alternative schedule but we have to vaccinate on the AAP schedule due to daycare.  There are many studies out there that show NO connection between vaccinations and Autism.  The ones that do show a connection (often a tenuous one at best) get more attention and publicity.
  • As someone who worked with children w/autism until I had DD, I talked it over w/my pedi & he also said that he'd go along w/whatever we want, but the MMR that's broken up can be hard to get.  If we can get it that way we will though.  Otherwise, we'll delay.  She won't be in daycare until she's a year old anyway, so we don't need to worry about that for a while.

My personal theory is that since autism is a spectrum disorder, similar to allergies, one child's reaction to the catalyst (whatever it is, vaccines, diet, etc.) will differ from the next.  That's why I think breaking it up may lessen the effects.  That's not based on a specific book or study, but on lots of study & real life experience.  It may be anecdotal, but many of the parents I've worked with noticed marked differences in their children within days after fever associated with vaccinations.  That's scary enough for me to want to play it safe.

• Well, I guess I have a different perspective, because I work in public health in Africa. Vaccine-preventable diseases are common and deadly here. I wanted Milo vaccinated against everything we could get.

Also, I've been through intensive training on immunization from the Centers for Disease Control, and although there are occasionally adverse reactions to vaccines, they are extremely rare, and not worth exposing your child to vaccine-preventable diseases.

My housekeeper was out for three weeks with shingles last year, and almost lost sight in one eye. Not something to mess around with, IMO.

• We read Dr. Sears book on the alt schedule and plan to do it.  Our pedi isn't crazy about the idea, but she has agreed to do it.  I just don't see any reason NOT to space them out to be safe, as long as they get all of them they need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"