April 2011 Moms
Options

Nursing Moms - how many times a day are your babies nursing? Have you started solids?

Each of the twins is averaging five nursing sessions per day plus one bottle of formula before they go down for the night. Sometimes we'll get six nursing sessions if we're going through a growth spurt. We're planning to start solids soon but the sheet we received mentions being hungry after 8-10 nursing sessions a day (or 32 oz of formula) as a sign that they're ready. There is no way that we would ever get that many sessions in a day especially since their sessions can last upwards of 30-40 minutes at times. They're acting like they're ready (watching each bite go into my mouth, grabbing at my hands if I'm eating while holding them). I can't remember how many nursing sessions per day we had at his point with C but we started with cereal right at 4 months. Would you go ahead and start giving solids even though they aren't doing the recommended amount of nursing sessions?
                                             Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                           Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                    Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.

Re: Nursing Moms - how many times a day are your babies nursing? Have you started solids?

• Options
    It sounds to me like they are ready to go. I wouldn't worry about numbers. Ask your pedi if you are really concerned. I have no idea how many times I nurse. We tend to cluster-feed all evening. We are going to start solids soon too.:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD ~ 4/21/2011
    DD 2.0 ~ 12/30/2013

• Options

The bottle of formula at night probably skews your numbers some anyway. If you think they're ready and aren't waiting to start solids, you're probably fine. It's not likely that 5 month olds wouldn't be satisfied with just nursing anyway.

My kid's nursing 8-9 times a day, but he wakes up once or twice overnight still. I could probably start him on cereal or purees, but I'm waiting for 6 months anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you think they are ready I say give it a go.  If it doesn't go well you can always try again later.
  • Options
    She is nursing 6-7 times per day.  We aren't starting solids until closer to 6 months, but if you think you're ready, go for it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Delilah nurses at about 2am, 5 or 6 am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 5 or 6 pm, and 7:30/8pm. So that's about 7 times a day, sometimes there's an extra feeding thrown in there. This is her schedule on weekends when I'm home, otherwise the daytime feedings are bottles of BM. I think if you feel that your babies are ready, then go ahead.
    Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Options
    I never keep track of how many times a day DS nurses. We started cereal a week before he turned 4 months, and now he gets a puree every evening. He was definitely ready to start & our pedi agreed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • Options
    Evie eats every four hours, with an extra feeding thrown in in the evening to make sure she's filled up for overnight. She just started STTN a week ago, so she's not eating overnight anymore. So- she nurses 5 times a day. 10 times seems like a ton!!! Evie is completely satisfied with our current schedule, and she's gaining normally. I'm not starting solids until 6 months, but it sounds to me like the twins are ready. What does your pedi say?
    imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• Options
    Thanks, ladies. They had their 4 month check at 3.5 months (just the way their office does it) and the ped is the one that suggested starting at 4 months. He said he'd like to see some more feedings (I think we were at 5-7 nursing sessions plus the bottle then) and had just gone through a growth spurt. They've been sleeping through the night since 2.5 months and usually nurse every 2.5-3 hours during the day. Even if they nursed every 2 hours while awake, we'd be getting 6 nursing sessions in plus the bottle. I think we're going to go ahead and give it a shot sometime this week and see how it goes.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"