Georgia Babies

Question about spaghetti squash

I decided to give this a try on a whim and I was less than impressed.  Maybe I did it wrong?  What is the texture supposed to be like?  I was expecting it to be sort of soft, like well, spaghetti.  But it was kind of crunchy?  Or is it out of season?  How do you cook it?

Re: Question about spaghetti squash

• I cook mine in a crock pot: cut the whole squash in half and stick it in there overnight with a cup of water or chicken broth.  In the morning it just pulls loose.  It looks like spaghetti but I suppose it is a bit "crunchier" in texture. A bit more al-dente, if you will.  ;)
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I usually halve it (I get dh to, or if I can find a friendly staff member at the grocery store I have them do it) then bake it in a pan with a little water (350 for 30-45 min?  can't quite remember it's been a while).

I've heard microwaving it works too, just haven't tried it.  The strands will be more squash-y not noodle-y if that makes any sense.  I love it with olive oil, or a little butter, salt and pepper.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageally-cat:

I usually halve it (I get dh to, or if I can find a friendly staff member at the grocery store I have them do it) then bake it in a pan with a little water (350 for 30-45 min?  can't quite remember it's been a while).

I've heard microwaving it works too, just haven't tried it.  The strands will be more squash-y not noodle-y if that makes any sense.  I love it with olive oil, or a little butter, salt and pepper.

This is how I do it too. 

Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageally-cat:

I usually halve it (I get dh to, or if I can find a friendly staff member at the grocery store I have them do it) then bake it in a pan with a little water (350 for 30-45 min?  can't quite remember it's been a while).

This is how I made it.  I think the texture was my issue.  DH didn't mind it, but I don't know... I just didn't like it.

• I microwave it--I cut a slit then microwave it until it's soft enough to easily cut in half and then a I cut it and microwave it some more.  The more you cook it the less "crunchy" it is but it's never really like pasta.
  • I think you just have to add a lot to it.  I always order this at Village Tavern in Alpharetta because it has lots of cheese, garlic and tomatoes.  I fed it to DS when he was around 8 or 9 months and he loved it too.  I'm just too lazy to deal with all of that at home. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I stab holes in mine and stick in the microwave for about 13-14 minutes. It is much more al dente than regular spaghetti texture but I don't mind and it's an acceptable alternative for us since we don't eat grains. We serve ours with spaghetti meat sauce.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have made it twice and it was 2 of the nastiest meals I have ever made! I cooked it like PP said, added olive oil, garlic, little lemon juice....freaking disgusting! Never again! I think it is a texture issue for sure!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"