April 2011 Moms
Options

Day Care Mommas--I need input please!!

DS is starting DC next Wednesday.  It's a small in-home DC; he is the only infant, and the first one she's had in a while.  Here's the line up of questions:

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC?

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh?

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking...

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC?

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC?

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc?

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?

Thanks guys!  I SO appreciate the input.  I have no one else to ask...

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Day Care Mommas--I need input please!!

• Options

1) the toys usually stay in my car or at home.  

2) Fresh and or thawed frozen milk.  I measure out bottles with how much I want them to feed him.  I started sending him in with 4 oz, and within a week they upped it to 6oz. I refuse to go over that amount no matter how much they ask until after his appointment next week because the last time i was there she said anywhere from 4-6 oz would be sufficient for him.  Every baby is different hough. Secondly, you should seriously start him on a few bottles right now to make sure  he will even drink them!

3) again, please start him on some sort of bottle regimen now so you have some sort of clue as to how much he's drinking.

4) crib sheet, blanket, package wipes, package diapers, bottles for the day only, gas drops, and 2-3 sets of extra clothes.

5) They ask for way too many things, so sometimes I have to tell them no. Most recently they keep asking me for orajel, which i refuse to use on him (per his pedi and my own research)

6) I usually send in a package of diapers that way i dont have to remember every day to bring some.

7) Do what you think is right, even if they ask you a million times to do something different LOL You are the mother here, not them. Good luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My SIL is taking care of LO for us, so my answers may be a little different than most, but I can be of some help for you.

1. I have not taken any of Chase's toys because there is plenty there for him to play with.

2. I take fresh milk already prepared in bottles.

3. Chase usually drinks about 5 oz or less at a time, so I try to send 5 oz bottles.  I generally take 3 bottles on Monday, though he only drinks 2 usually, since I go and BF him over lunch.  The third bottle will be consumed first on Tuesday, when I bring two more bottles.  That way he had 3 bottles there at all times, in case I don't make it to feed him over lunch or he gets REALLY hungry for some reason.  SIL also has 3 packages of frozen BM, just in case.

4.  I generally leave a couple of changes of clothes.  A couple of pacifiers and a swaddle for nap times.

5.  I can't think of anything specifically that I don't or won't take.

6.  We cloth diaper, so we change them a bit more often than usual.  We usually put 5 dipers in the diaper bag, a couple of wet bags (useful for wet clothes as well) wipes, a couple of changes of clothes, a burp cloth that I use when I go over to feed and maybe an extra receiving blanket.

7.  Give some time in the morning to talk to your DC provider about anything that could be going on with LO that day and some time in the evening to talk about any concerns that your provider might have.  This will make things easier for both of you and for LO.

I hope this helps! 

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1.  no toys..she has plenty for him at her house

2. i BF at home, but he takes formula at DC..i just thought it would be easier on everyone.  Plus i don't produce enough to keep up...I would be able to do it for a little while with my stash...but not forever.

3. see above

4. I left a pack of diapers, couple packs of wipe, three bottles, some teething rings and container of formula.

6. Everyday i bring a small bag with him that has the follwing:  A couple onsie, extra paci, tylenol and teething tablets, a large zip lock bag for dirty clothes coming home, socks and a note pad that we right down on everyday (bottles, naps, poops etc.)...

you will do fine. Just ask the DC is you can keep a pack of diapers and wipes there, instead of bringing them.  Then that's less to bring everyday.  Also if your LO takes a paci, make sure you have one of those things that attaches it to him, so he doesn't loose it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC?  I pack a couple of her toys each week

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh?  Frozen

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking... She has three 4 ounce bottles while I'm at work.  I send 16 ounces each day.

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC? I leave a bag with a tummy time blanket, pack of diapers, container of wipes, spare onsie, spare bink, socks, burp rag, pnp sheet, bottles

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC?  I don't take my diaper bag

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc?  I leave the diaper bag at home and pack a leave at DC bag.  I bring the bag on Monday and take it home on Friday.  I bring a whole pack of diapers and an entire container of wipes.

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?  The hardest part is dropping LO off.

• Options
    imagewatermelon mom:

DS is starting DC next Wednesday.  It's a small in-home DC; he is the only infant, and the first one she's had in a while.  Here's the line up of questions:

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC? I'd ask what toys she has available for infants.  If she is lacking, then you could offer to pick up a few for her to keep if that is an option for you.  Or if she is okay with you sending some daily, pick a few and send them in labeled.  I just wouldn't send anything you are overly attached to because it could get lost/broken, etc. 

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh?  DD has only gone a handful of times and I've been able to send fresh.  My hope is to send in what I pump the day before and if I'm lacking then I'll add in a bottle of frozen. 

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking... My guess is she will take 3 bottles while there (7:45-4:00), but I will send 4 to be on the safe side and I'm also leaving a couple of frozen ones in her fridge just in case. 

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC?  Crib sheet, which I will bring home on Fridays to wash, diapers, wipes, diaper cream for just in case

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC?  Nothing I can think of

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc? I send a backpack with a burpcloth, her lovey and a receiving blanket for comfort, 2-3 changes of clothes.  I send in diapers and wipes by bulk because that works for her so I don't have to deal with those on a daily basis.   

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?  I typed up some random notes with the nap routine DD is comfortable with, a loose schedule (sleep, eat, awake for 1.5 hours, back down for nap), some of the activities she enjoys, how I comfort her and things she seems to dislike. I also will give myself some extra time the first day to make sure we can talk and go over any questions she might have. 

Good luck!

• Options
    imagewatermelon mom:

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC?  No, my DC has enough toys that she can play with.  As a matter of fact my day care provider has gone out & bought toys & mats especially for my LO since she is the only baby there.

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh?  FF only

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking...

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC?  I bought a foam mattress for the pack n play my DD sleeps in at the DC.  I also bought sheets for the mattress.  Those things stay there & my DC gives them to me every Friday to wash.  I also have a blanket that I keep over there & my DC gives to me to wash.

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC?  Toys

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc?  I give my DC a large pack of diapers & wipes, she lets me know when she is running low.  I make the bottles & bring them over everyday, I always bring six 6oz bottles....it's way more than my DD needs but at times DD can be a snacker.  In the diaper bag I have: a change of clothes, bibs, burp cloths, & pacifier

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?

• Options

I take DS to a center, but I'm sure most of these answers would go across the board.

1) We only have this little monkey that clips onto his crib at daycare, we leave it there.

2) I take a mix. I take two fresh and always have two frozen on hand. They use the freshes first, and if we haven't gone through the frozens by the end of the week, on Friday we tell them to use up the frozens. This keeps my frozen stash rotating.

3) I always have 4 4-5 oz. increments. He will normally only drink 2-3 per day. He is generally there from 9-4.

4) Diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, bottle and nipple (which I take home on weekends to wash, even though they do wash them there), extra set of clothes, extra binky if he needs it.

5) There really isn't anything provided for him there at this point. We bring it all.

6) We don't take a diaper bag, all his stuff just stays there.

7) I agree with PP - give yourself time to be able to talk with your provider. DH drops off and I pick up, DH is the one who gets to talk to his main teachers that are with him all day. I wish I was able to be the one to talk to them in the mornings, so give yourself that extra time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC? No, though she suggested if there was something that helped her sleep, I could send it. (Think "seahorse" or "lullabye lamb".) I've also sent one of her teethers that stays there. (She has others at home.)

2 and 3 are N/A to me.

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC? Diapers and wipes. We actually use cloth diapers, but if you don't, she will need you to have a pack of diapers and a container of wipes to leave there with her.  You will also want to send a change of clothes for LO just in case of an emergency. She has one that stays at day care and I send an extra in the diaper bag each day.

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC? There are lots of things I don't take to day care...

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc? I send 6 cloth diapers and a small zipper wet bag each day. I also leave diaper rash cream in the diaper bag, just in case, as well as "Baby Orajel Naturals". Bottles and formula for the day are also in there.

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?  It will take a few days to get into the swing of it, but you and LO will catch on quickly. :)

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC? -No

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh? N/A

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking... N/A

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC? Initially they asked for Diapers, Wipes, 2-3 Changes of Clothes, Sheets for her Pack n play, and Sunscreen.  I sent the diapers and wipes in bulk and two sheets at a time (they replace w/ new once a week) When her supplies are getting low, they let me know on her daily report. 

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC? Blankets, Toys

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc?

Everyday I send G with 3 Bottles filled with water (an extra just in case one leaks or spills even though they have nursery water there as well) a dispenser filled with enough formula for 3 bottles.  A hat or 2 for outside time in the stroller, bibs, gripe water in the insulated bottle carrier to keep cold and her paci medicine dispenser and now tylenol and teething gel since she is teething.   An extra paci or two.

7) What else should I know about taking my LO to DC?  I give myself at least 5 mins every morning to give her teacher an update on the night before and that morning and discuss anything from the day before since DH picks her up.  We get a daily report of EVERYTHING she does (feedings, changes, mood, activities, etc) which I absolutely love!  Hopefully you get one too!  The best advice her teacher gave me when we went to visit the few days before she started, as a test run..." Don't hang around and wait to see if she will cry, give your hugs and kisses...smile and say goodbye!"  You will be more emotional then the baby!  :) Good Luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    imageambercg33:

Also if your LO takes a paci, make sure you have one of those things that attaches it to him, so he doesn't loose it.

THIS!!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

1. nope. She has plenty there. I do toss one in his daily bag every now and then if he is really intI prep the bottles the night before.

2. fresh- prepped the night before.

3. 4 3oz bottles. He typically eats 3 of them and I send the 4th as extra (if he does not eat it that one is his first bottle the next day). I freeze any extra at the end of the week.

4. Nothing. We cloth diaper and use cloth wipes so those go daily as well as his bottles.

5. ??

6. cooler with bottles. 5 diapers. Wipes. Wipe solution. Wet bag. blanket. burp cloth. 2 outfit changes. tylenol. gas drops. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  :) 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options

1)  yes, some of them.  I sent the ones he loved so that he could have something he knew and was comforting.  I bought new of his favs for at home. 

2&3)  we do formula, so I took the can and told her when and how much we were currently feeding then told her to follow her gut and feed when needed.

4)  Pack n play (for naps), store of fav toys, a few emergency change of clothes, diapers, wipes, diaper creme, an emergency bottle (I take another one home every night and clean it), formula, extra pacifiers.  My pack n play has a storage area under it, so she keeps all of his things there.  It works well.  She tells me when she's running low and I resupply.

5)  Car seat & stroller.  He's not supposed to be in the car with her and she has the stroller.

6)  Normal stash of dipes and wipes (b/c she has a whole super sized box), 2 or 3 clothes changes (I empty out and wash daily), and a clean bottle

7)  LO is going to be pissed at you for awhile.  My DS is as passive-aggressive as I am!!!  He snubs me when I go to pick him up...he automatically reaches for me and wants to be held, but refuses to smile and sometimes even look at me.  Then when we get home he throws a fit if I try to put him down.

• Options

My LO is with a family friend, who watches him and my best friend's 1 year old.  So my answers may be slightly skewed as a result. 

1) Did you take any of your child's toys to DC?  Yes, I do take about 4 or 5 toys.

2) BFers: Do you take frozen milk or fresh? I take fresh milk, but our houses are close enough that if he ran out, she could drive over and grab some out of the freezer. 

3) BFers: How much milk do you send?  Since I BF, I'm not sure how much he's taking... In the beginning I was sending 15oz.  He never has ate that much in a day.  My LO (who's pretty tiny anyway) eats typically 10oz in a day.

4) What, if anything, stays at your DC? I don't keep anything at the daycare.  Occasionally BM, but not even that usually.

5) Is there anything that you do not take to DC? No, but remember different situation. 

6) What is in your diaper bag when your kiddo goes?  As in how many dipes, etc? I pack 8 diapers, 2 extra outfits, 2 blankets, 2 burp cloths, a pack of wipes (out of the value pack containers), a bink for emergencies, sunscreen, nasal thing, baby wash, washcloth, 4 bottles, hat, and a few toys. 

• Options

1) No toys...

2) Fresh BM

3) 2 bottles ~2 to 3 oz each

4) Diapers, wipes, blankets, extra onesies

5) Her hats and socks haven't gone yet

6) I use an extra diaper bag with extras and leave it there....with thermometer, nasal bulb, diaper ointment, etc.

7) LO will touch and mouth toys and things that other babies there do; at first I kind of panicked when I saw this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"