Georgia Babies

How To Deal With Homesickness During Pregnancy

I'm originally from the Atlanta area, then moved to NYC for 11 years, and unexpectedly moved back a week ago. It's a good move, husband found a great job and my family is here. But it's a huge adjustment. We're still looking for a rental house (seem hard to come by in Midtown, Virginia Highlands, and downtown Decatur), so I haven't had the opportunity to work on a nursery yet. I'm trying to take it easy and enjoy the pregnancy, but it's hard.

I'm also missing my NYC friends who are stuck in storm Irene.

But the biggest adjustment has been crashing in the suburbs with my parents while I figure out where we're going to live. We have time to find a good place, which is great, and I'm trying to focus on the positive. But it's hard not walking out the door to everything we once had access to - which was everything. In the meantime, I'm trying to get out and stay busy. Anyone else move in the middle of a pregnancy or feeling homesick during pregnancy?

https://www.TheCreativeHomestead.com

Re: How To Deal With Homesickness During Pregnancy

• I didn't move while pregnant but I did make a huge adjustment moving to the United States.

I have been NY plenty of times and hubby used to live there. I love love love NY but I could never live there because it is so fast pace. For me too much so coming from a laid back island. I do however,understand what you are saying as ATL from NY is a huge difference. My hubby says he is an ATL boy now and surprisingly has no intention of going back to live in NY. I tried to get him to move us to Philly..but no such luck.

In time I think that you will grow to love ATL. It's very family orientated. I love how this city caters to kids and stay at home moms, and families. Coming from a family orientated island of Bermuda I realized that we didn't have the provisions that ATL has. It has really helped me to cope.

Also.. meeting the ladies on this board has helped me too. We have GTG's often and have bonded as married women with kids. lol.

One thing I was reading in your blog was that you are with your parents and grateful of that. PLEASE... be grateful. I didn't have my family and now I have an aunt that just moved here.  But it was harder without my mom and as much as I tried to look at my MIL as such.. I couldnt.

Try to connect with other woman..and yes, you may have to get in your hot car to meet us/them but its worth it.

Follow Me on Twitter!!
    this wife bakes.

One of my favorite cakes ever! I had a blast making this..all handmade with buttercream suds!!!!
  • I grew up in Atlanta, spent 10 years in DC and 3 years in London and moved back to Atlanta, so I understand. We went from not having a car to having to drive everywhere, and it was hard at first but we really do love it here. I couldn't move back to the burbs so we chose Brookhaven, and we have a ton around us we can walk to. Life is slower here than NYC, but it is a good city to raise kids in, you just have to find the right neighborhood fit for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm moving from Israel back to Atlanta in 3 weeks.  I have spent half my pregnancy away from my friends and family at home--everything and everyone I know.  It is hard, but you are right, you have to focus on the positive or else it will drive you completely crazy. Look forward to getting to put together the baby's room, meet new moms and finally meeting your new little one.

Even though I am moving "back home" it is still difficult to think my friends and family here won't be able to see my little one grow up and be a part of his major milestones, but it is the best decision for our family and I find comfort in that.

Our sweet little guy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Israel Blog!
  • While I knew there were other people going through it, it really, really helps to hear from others who have gone through it. I can't imagine moving from abroad back to Atlanta, makes my version of reverse culture shock sound silly!

It's hard to get out of a rut, but I'm trying to do new things I haven't done here before. Like see a movie at the Fox and go to Shakespeare's Tavern. We also decided since we're saving on rent being at my parents and will end up renting something cheaper than nyc, that we're going to splurge and go to Savannah for two nights over Labor Day. Hubbie has never been, and I haven't gone in about 20 years. We love travel, and that tends to jolt us out of the doldrums.

Looking for a place is keeping us busy. I just wish we could get settled already and get into a routine, but, I am far luckier than most at the moment. Will just focus on that for the time being. 

https://www.PeachtreeParents.com

• imagePeachtree Parents:

While I knew there were other people going through it, it really, really helps to hear from others who have gone through it. I can't imagine moving from abroad back to Atlanta, makes my version of reverse culture shock sound silly!

It's hard to get out of a rut, but I'm trying to do new things I haven't done here before. Like see a movie at the Fox and go to Shakespeare's Tavern. We also decided since we're saving on rent being at my parents and will end up renting something cheaper than nyc, that we're going to splurge and go to Savannah for two nights over Labor Day. Hubbie has never been, and I haven't gone in about 20 years. We love travel, and that tends to jolt us out of the doldrums.

Looking for a place is keeping us busy. I just wish we could get settled already and get into a routine, but, I am far luckier than most at the moment. Will just focus on that for the time being. 

https://www.PeachtreeParents.com

IMO, this is the hardest part about moving, especially pregnant or with kids. I thrive on routine and I just am stuck in limbo right now!  I know how that feels.  Hopefully we'll be able to have a Atl GTG and we can all destress a little after our big moves!

Our sweet little guy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Israel Blog!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"