Natural Birth

Encouragement Needed!

Hi Ladies, After having my membranes swept on Thursday I have been in "prodromal Labor" since Thursday night. Contractions have been around 10 minutes apart and I can't walk or talk through them. Needless to say I am exhausted after 3 nights of this. I wanted a natural birth but self-doubt is setting in. I feel like I can hardly handle this pain - how will I ever cope with "real labor"? I've read tons of books and thought I felt ready but that was before I felt the actual pain of a contraction! Any advice would be much appreciated! I'm feeling more crampy today so hoping today could turn into the real thing! Sorry if my paragraphs didn't work - posting from my iPad! TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Encouragement Needed!

• Just breathe.   Seriously, take it one contraction at a time and focus on the end of that particular contraction......not the end of labour.     Exhale at the peak of the contracton and inhale on the rise.     Breather in through the nose and exhale through the mouth.     

This may sound kind of silly, but focusing on how you are breathing may take some focus away from the pain.        

You can do this!!!       

• Try to relax and breath slowly. Even if you can't sleep well, resting is still good for you. If it helps, most of the long prodomial (not sure I got that word right) labor stories I've heard, have it where once labor gets really going, it is really short.

Can you go get a massage, one for relaxing and two to maybe get some pressure points worked on? How favorable are you for induction? If it really comes to it and you're not able to wait any longer, you just have to do what's best for you and feel confident in your decision. I bet you go any day now so keep your chin up :) You can do it!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I've been trying to focus on my breathing. I find if I miss that first deep inhalation I get caught up in the contraction and can't get my head back! I'm going to try to be really focused for the next few and see how I do. And I like what you said about getting through contraction, not the whole labour...thanks for your encouragement! 
  • imagehomediva:
    Thanks! I've been trying to focus on my breathing. I find if I miss that first deep inhalation I get caught up in the contraction and can't get my head back! I'm going to try to be really focused for the next few and see how I do. And I like what you said about getting through contraction, not the whole labour...thanks for your encouragement! 

When I got caught up in the contraction, I panted for a bit.     For my last, I had an hour drive to the hospital while I was in transition and for the last 20 minutes of the ride I was ready to push..........  The things that helped me were counting, panting, and focusing on breathing!     I hope this helps you!!!    And, CONGRATS!!!      

• Also, get your butt into a bathtub! ;) It was my saving grace during labor. It really helped me to relax and just let the contractions happen and it helped so much with the pain. I know some women don't like it but if I were you, I'd soak for a long time and if you need to, I'm pretty sure Tylenol PM is okay for pregnancy. My MW even said a glass of wine to help me relax occasionally was okay.

Or you could just get really agressive with natural labor induction- accupuncture, sex, nipple stimulation, etc... but I'd personally try to rest first because you will need energy for labor. GL!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• omg, thanks so much girls! I just went to the washroom and (TMI) had tons of brown CM so I think I am on my way! Hope to check back in with a good story for you soon. : ) And I do love hearing that a long prodromal labor tends to equal a short actual labor! "God willing," as my mother in law would say!! 
  • Oh and a glass of wine to help move things along sounds like a good dose of medicine to me! (But I guess Sunday morning is a bit early for that remedy, LOL!). 
  • imagehomediva:
    Oh and a glass of wine to help move things along sounds like a good dose of medicine to me! (But I guess Sunday morning is a bit early for that remedy, LOL!). 

lol, says who? You are on babytime now, honey...the clock has nothing to do with it!

• when you exhale make an 'O' shape with your mouth and make a low 'oh' moaning tone...sounds silly but it forces your body to relax. This definately helped me through my labor. Also,I labored at home for three nights in a row as well and was exhausted. On the fourth day I had accupunture done to help induce labor and it worked...I started having consistent contractions on the table and was in full blown labor three hours later. Good luck to you....you can do it!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You cannot fight the contractions.  Just go with them, let them happen.

Do whatever you can to help you relax: bath, shower, massage.

Once labour starts in earnest, it will probably go relatively quickly.  There is always an 'end' to labour.  Believe in yourself.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Have you been able to eat & sleep? Take extra naps and keep yourself nurished because your body is working extra hard. Do you have access to a pool / tub? Is your husband around to massage you? Even though you don't feel you can walk through them, can you husband or some one help you get into different positions that might relieve the pain?

I hope things progress before you get completely worn out. 3 nights is a long time but you can do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"