Adoption

Adoption Process

I hope one of you lovely ladies can help to answer a few questions.  So long story short, a friend of mine has a friend who has a friend that is 14 weeks pregnant and wants to give the baby up for adoption. 

How would this type of situation work?  Would I still need to contact an agency and work thru them, do I just get an adoption attorney and handle it thru lawyers? 

Is there anything I need to be aware or cautious of by doing an adoption this way?

Thanks ladies!!

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
PAIF/SAIF always welcome

Re: Adoption Process

• So, your friend's friend's friend is making an adoption plan, and you want to adopt the child? I just want to make sure you have that right.

First I'd recommend the woman get counseling, either through a reputable agency or other means, to make sure she's set in her decision. Then she can contact an adoption agency or an adoption attorney to get the process going.

It can be handled through layers.

IMO the only things you need to be aware of is that you'll need a home study, you'll need someone who knows laws requiring termination of parental rights and paying of any birthmother expenses, and as always you want to be aware that she may change her mind.

GL to you all.

• Yes that is correct.  Thanks, didnt even think of those things.  I appreciate you responding.
    I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • It varies by state.  In some states you have to work with an agency.  In others, no agency is needed (but may be if certain circumstances exist).  In some states you need a home study before the baby is born.  In other states no home study is needed in an independent adoption until after the baby is placed with the family.  

If you know that the woman wishes to place with you, then I would go speak with an attorney who can tell you exactly what your state requires and help you navigate the process. 

• It varies by state a little, but it can usually be handled by an adoption attorney.  However, I would recommend contacting a good agency who will work to sort of bridge between you and the birth mom.  Agencies know all the laws and can guide both of you thru the process.  They can also recommend a good adoption lawyer once it gets to that point.  Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"