D.C. Area Babies

Are you doing anything to prep for Irene?

Having just bid adios to the mass hysteria related to the earthquake earlier this week, we are reluctant to go crazy in taking all sorts of precautions for Irene...but we are doing a few things just in case. 

I am anticipating some length of power outage at least.  So we have some food staples that we always have on hand in our pantry, we filled some water jugs, we'll fill our bathtub so we can flush the toilet/brush teeth/wash hands/etc. & we have flashlights/candles within easy access.  We also parked in a good spot away from tall/old trees.  

What are other families doing to prepare?  Do you think it's going to be a major interruption in our lives?    

Re: Are you doing anything to prep for Irene?

• no, I don't think it'll be anything more than rain and wind and maybe some power outages

• Just anticipating power outages.  Batteries, flashlights, food staples, a plan to sleep in our (cooler than upstairs) basement if we end up with no AC for a while, make sure the propane tank on the gas grill is full in case we can't use our electric stove/oven. 

And don't forget - gas up your car.  When Asheville NC flooded (and power was out) a few years ago, my brother had to wait on long lines for fuel because the trucks carrying the gas couldn't get to the gas stations so there was a shortage.  So I've just filled up my minivan juuust in case.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • We just brought in all of our outdoor furniture, etc, and tied down the things that can't come in.  We always have plenty of non-perishables, so we just made sure we had flashlights/candles easily accessible.  I'm guessing we'll be without power for at least a small stretch, so I packed everything in our freezers close together to try to save them.  Our next door neighbor had a huge tree come down on their house and split it in half about a month ago in a windy thunderstorm, so our big fear is with the trees behind our house.  We may all sleep in the basement tonight just incase a tree comes down on our house. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I filled up a bunch of DD's bottles with water so I can mix formula for her. I also filled up a huge 3 gallon pot with water for drinking. Yesterday I put water in a bunch of zip locks and froze it in case the power goes out and we need to put some of our refrigerated/frozen goods in coolers. We may sleep at my IL's house tonight in their basement bedroom. We have some pretty large trees in our yard so I'm somewhat concerned about that.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we stocked up on water and flashlight batteries and we have a decent (but not great) stash of non-perishable foods. basically if we're out of power for too long peanut butter sandwiches and chicken noodle soup will get old fast--but at least we won't go hungry!

our stove is gas and the stove top is easy to light when the power is out, so as long as the gas lines are okay, we can still heat things up. I'm planning to make pancakes with apple syrup tonight for dinner because I can make them with or without power :-)

btw, preparation for his hurricane vary greatly from my preparations for Isabel! my roommate and I made sure we were well stocked with tequila and limes and Beam and coke...and ice. And I think we bought some chips as an afterthought. We were drinking a little while watched the storm coverage until they announced that the fed govt would be closed the next day then we started doing shots. Because getting wasted during a natural disaster just makes sense, right? ;-)

• imagebh2720:

btw, preparation for his hurricane vary greatly from my preparations for Isabel! my roommate and I made sure we were well stocked with tequila and limes and Beam and coke...and ice. And I think we bought some chips as an afterthought. We were drinking a little while watched the storm coverage until they announced that the fed govt would be closed the next day then we started doing shots. Because getting wasted during a natural disaster just makes sense, right? ;-)

I was thinking the same today, we stocked up on beer, ice etc, and partied for a few days since we didn't have to work!

The only other thing I did was buy some of the organic boxed milk (like juice boxes)so I could still give DS milk if we lose power.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"