High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Second time moms who had GD the first time?

I had GD during my first pregnancy.  I had perfect GTT results about 8 months after birth.  Now I am pregnant with number 2 and OB suggested that I start the diet now just in case.  I am not really overweight.

So my question to you is, did you alter your diet during your second pregnancy prior to testing just in case? And do any of you know the chances of having GD the second time around if you had it the first time?  If you started checking your glucose on your own, at what point to did you start to notice high numbers again?

In general, I make pretty good food choices anyway.  My ms has been bad this time however so I am allowing myself to eat whatever makes me feel ok which includes a lot of fruit. 

Re: Second time moms who had GD the first time?

• Options
    I waited the full two years before trying again, and followed the GD diet from the time we started trying again to reduce my chances of recurrence.  Got it again at exactly the same time anyways.  They did start screening me early so I know I didn't have it early in pregnancy. 
    Photobucket "...let's rewrite an ending that fits" Mom to DS 6/1999 and DD 1/2008 TTC #3 8/2010 M/C 10/2010 BFP 2/2/11 EDD 10/17/11 On our way to Baby #3 Stick Baby Stick!
  • Options

With DD1 I was diagnosed at the typical 28 weeks. My GTT at 6 weeks PP was perfect, and I got pregnant again when DD was not quite 11 months old. I started diet and testing on my own at 11 weeks after failing the 1 hour. It was clear already that I was having issues with fasting numbers at that point. I was officially diagnosed at 13 weeks after failing the 3 hour.

I don't know the exact statistic of how many women who have had GD end up with it again, but there's a pretty decent chance you'll have it again. Some people get lucky and don't though, or at least don't develop it early as is common in second timers. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had GD with my twin pregnancy. I'm now 21 weeks pg. I started loosely following the diet as soon as I found out I was pg. I didn't count carbs, but I would pair a bard with a protein and made sure to eat every 3 hours. I didn't check my blood sugar level.

I failed my 1 hr GTT but passed my 3 hour two weeks ago. I retake the 3 hour again at 28 weeks.

I did research and found that there is a 33% chance of developing GD if you had it with a previous pregnancy. If I can find the study again, I'll post it.

• Options

Here are two studies. One says there's a 35% chance of GD with a 2nd pg and the other found a 41.3% chance.

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/19/12/1348

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/724996

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  I guess I was kind of in denial.  I did so well on the diet the first time around but now the concept of limiting carbs makes my morning sickness turn my stomach.  And having DS around who eats a variety of carbs that we may have otherwise cut out doesn't help.  Guess I will have to push through and start paying attention!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"