Postpartum Depression
Options

Too late to be PPD?

I am almost 5 months PP, and I just don't know if it's become worse or what.  I did have some depression before even becoming pregnant, and responded very well to meds.  Well now I don't think I'm responding well at all to them and my anxiety is so much worse.  My mom seems to think that it's just my life circumstances right now (we are having to deal with a LOT - husband became disabled and is now unemployed, my grandfather died suddenly this month, just found out DD had some serious health issues, everything is breaking - AC, both cars broke down this week, and found out that my job is changing drastically, and don't know how long I will actually have a job, and general job related stress).

But I just can't seem to get myself to calm down lately.  And the smallest things set me off.  I got so upset last night when I couldn't cut some bread right.  It just crumbled in my hands and I lost it.

I would NEVER hurt DD, myself, or my husband.  But I am scared that there will be a point where I cannot control my anger.  Last night after the bread incident I went and layed down in the bedroom and took a "time out" for a few hours to sleep off my anger. But I won't always have that luxury, especially at work.

It's causing a lot of problems between DH and I because well...you probably wouldn't want to be around an angry person like me all the time either.  I don't want it to destroy our relationship, but I feel it is.

I just don't know where to go from here.  I need to work, I am the only one supporting our family, but I am fearful that I will have a breakdown any time now.  I am just so lost, frustrated, and angry.

What worked for you?  I know I need to talk to my doctor, but I'm so afraid I am going to lose my job I can't even take any time off to go see the doc (I used up my paid time off when DD was hospitalized earlier in the month).  Is this PPD or is my mom right with it being too late?

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Too late to be PPD?

• Options

Technically speaking, PPD can happen anytime up until 12 months PP. So yes, what you're experiencing could very well be PPD or PPA...exacerbated by your life's circumstances (which sound SUPER stressful).

Especially since you have a history of depression, you are high-risk. You should most definitely contact your doctor before you do have a breakdown (which may or may not happen, but who wants to chance it??). If you have responded well to meds in the past maybe you just need to change it up. 

I have suffered with severe PPD (and psychosis) for 15 months, so I understand how you feel (although my life's circumstances were not nearly as rough). The only way I can function is with medication. I currently take Pristiq (which works great),  seroquel (helps with the bad thoughts), lithium (they think I might be bipolar), and Concerta (stimulant to help my motivation).

GL to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsBraun:

Technically speaking, PPD can happen anytime up until 12 months PP. So yes, what you're experiencing could very well be PPD or PPA...exacerbated by your life's circumstances (which sound SUPER stressful).

Especially since you have a history of depression, you are high-risk. You should most definitely contact your doctor before you do have a breakdown (which may or may not happen, but who wants to chance it??). If you have responded well to meds in the past maybe you just need to change it up. 

I have suffered with severe PPD (and psychosis) for 15 months, so I understand how you feel (although my life's circumstances were not nearly as rough). The only way I can function is with medication. I currently take Pristiq (which works great),  seroquel (helps with the bad thoughts), lithium (they think I might be bipolar), and Concerta (stimulant to help my motivation).

GL to you!

Thank you so much for your quick response.  Is this something I should call the on-call doc about or wait until Monday?  I know that sounds stupid but I honestly don't know what to do.  I guess I could just call them and talk to the on call doc and see what they want me to do.

Also, I am breastfeeding and was hoping to up to one year...almost halfway there and I am so happy that I have made it this far.  At this point I can't afford formula and really have no interest in it...are there meds to help me or do I have to stop BF to take any stronger meds?  Right now I'm taking a daily dose of 100 mg Zoloft.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBeetleLinz1125:
    imageMrsBraun:

GL to you!

Thank you so much for your quick response.  Is this something I should call the on-call doc about or wait until Monday?  I know that sounds stupid but I honestly don't know what to do.  I guess I could just call them and talk to the on call doc and see what they want me to do.

Also, I am breastfeeding and was hoping to up to one year...almost halfway there and I am so happy that I have made it this far.  At this point I can't afford formula and really have no interest in it...are there meds to help me or do I have to stop BF to take any stronger meds?  Right now I'm taking a daily dose of 100 mg Zoloft.

I would call the on call doc if you think it is severe enough (meaning you would have a breakdown this weekend possibly). Mental health is nothing to fool around with, yet people think they can let things slide.

You can take up to 200mg of Zoloft (i was on the max dose at one point), so maybe the on call doc will just up your meds and see how you do. There are other meds that are safe for BF-ing but I'm not as familiar with those because I stopped when I went into the hospital at 7 weeks pp. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Since it's Monday morning, how did things go?  Did you call over the weekend or wait until today?  (And if you haven't called yet, here's a reminder!)  I hope the doctor will be able to help you over the phone, or that you'll be able to do some flex-time for work to make an appointment.  I've been meaning to find out if PPD is a protected 'disability'....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"