South Florida Babies

Not the best topic but need your advice...

So now that we are expecting a baby boy, all we get asked is "Are you circumcising the baby".. DH and I are trying to get the most information we can before we make a decision. I thought I'd ask you ladies for advice since I know a lot of you have baby boys.. = sorry if this topic might get anyone offended, just think you ladies can help me out..
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not the best topic but need your advice...

• I think Eve posted about this when she was pregnant with Evan and it caused a huge stir on the board. Maybe you can ask her to see what kind of responses she got. 
  • Thanks Nikki, did u get my text?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes! This topic gets heated, for some reason people get all cuh-razy and think that anyone who does it is going to ruin their son for life. My advice is to speak to your Dr because you're definitely going to get some very passionate responses from people who don't have room to see that there *may* be different opinions or different sides to this story. 

IMO - if I ever do have a boy he would without question be circumcised.

image image

• I can't seem to find the previous post about this topic.. :( Do you ladies know how far back it was?
  • It was probably a year ago or more and it got really nasty.
    image image

• I would talk to your dr and get his/her advice. And I think most insurances are not covering it anymore, citing it is not medically necessary.  Ours didn't.  I think we had to pay 250 bucks.

I dont obviously have a wink wink and when I found out I was having a boy. DH said he wanted him to be circ'd.  And DH is not Circ'd,if that matters. 

But yes this topic gets very heated fast. :)

• Speak with your Dr and your husband! If we would of had a boy he would have been! In our family we have a lot of boys and its a 50/50! Go with your parentally instinct! People can be zoo annoying!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMommyToOBe:
    I can't seem to find the previous post about this topic.. :( Do you ladies know how far back it was?

Prob around Aug-Sept of last yr.  Eve and I were pg at the same time and I remember reading the real responses, and ignoring the petty comments.

IMO, I left this decision up to dad.  Since I only have sisters, I was clueless on the topic.  I will also add, IMO it is more hygenical to have the procedure.

Like Leanna said, it is a VERY controversial topic.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We got J circ'd. My OB did it and it was $400. My MIL and her husband insisted on paying for it because she like my DH and myself wanted him to have it done.

My 2 younger brothers are both circ'd. The older one wasn't at birth and had to have it done later because of issues. The younger had it done from the get go.

The previous discussion about this got ugly because the comment was made about how it "looks" and how someone said they would never have sex with a guy that wasn't circ'd.

Then you have those who believe you are mutilating your child if you do it. They say the same about parent's who pierce their babies ears.

The fact is, it's a personal choice. Have I seen the online videos of how the procedure is performed? Yes. Is it terrible? OMG yes. Now I know why the nurse took him in the room and brought him back when they were done. But they are under anesthesia so they can't feel it and they will never remember the pain. IMO, it was the best thing for MY son.   

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • We chose not to do this for our boy.  Both DH and I are the first generation born in the states and it is not customary in our parent's native countries unless you are Jewish (which we are not).  My insurance did not cover it but we did find out it was only $250 for the doctor (pediatrician or OB/GYN) to do it. 

In the end we chose not to do because DH never had an issue.  Nor had we heard of any family member on either side with an issue.  I do understand this doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen.  I primarily left the decision up to DH but let him know how I felt.  All I can advise is for you to research it and take people's opinions at face value.  Talk to your DH and weigh the pros and cons.  Either way don't let anyone sway your decision.  People are always happy to let you know your choice is wrong but in the end it's your choice. Good luck!

• Both of our boys are circumcised by choice. And to add, little E was also for a medical reason. He had hypospadias, a condition where his urethra ("hole") was not in the right position and he required a 2 hour surgery to repair it at 6 months of age. Part of the procedure is to use the foreskin for the repair so he ended up with a circumcision.

Like others have mentioned, it is a completely personal choice. Just an FYI, if you ask physicians and nurses, most of the time babies cry only when the numbing medication is injected. My insurance covered big E's circumcision. Little E's was a different situation so it was covered.

The reason circumcision was right for us:

1. My husband is circumcised and we wanted our boys to be the same. 

2. We feel it is more hygienic and medically, there is research that shows it decreases the risk of penile cancer. 

3.  During my pediatric training, I had so many kids come in to the office with parents complaining that the foreskin does not pull back. Many parents were afraid to "hurt" their child and never cleaned it properly. We had to send so many of them to the urologist. And for those we tried to separate the adhesions, those kids screamed bloody murder. I never wanted to run the risk of going through something like that. (I don't think I would ever let it reach that point but why even run the risk was our mentality.)

Definitely speak to your husband about the different issues at hand as well as with your pediatrician. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• As for the actual procedure, we had to do it at about 3 wks bc boys were in NICU for 1 wk and when we were going to go to have it done at 2 wks, I had complications, so we had to postpone again.  Anyway, yes, they cried a lot during the procedure, but we fed them right after so that calmed them down.  After that, they would whine during urination for about 12 hrs but then like nothing happened!
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Just like a few other people have mentioned, the decision was pretty much up to Hubby. I have sisters and really had no idea what to do. Hubby is circumcised, so he obviously wanted Mason to be as well. And after talking to the doctor about it, I knew it was the right choice for us. Yes, he cried during the procedure, but he cried when the anesthesia was given. Once he came back to the room, he was perfectly happy. My insurance didn't cover it, we paid $200, but it was worth it to me.

Oh, and if you do decide to circumcise him, make sure you are clear on the care of it during the healing process and after it heals. I've heard stories of the skin reattaching. I don't feel that the nurses were totally clear with me, I don't know if they thought it was common sense, but I'm a girl, how am I supposed to know? Luckily Hubby was able to fill me in. :) 

• My first reaction to your post was - "Who and why would people ask you that?!"  This is how a pictured your convo,"We're having a boy!" "Oh. Are you going to have him circumcized?" REALLY?!  I have two boys - and do not recall anyone asking me that question. 

Anyways, this is a very controversial topic.  There is no right or wrong.  It's a personal choice.  My husband made the decision.  Ask your husband what his preference is, talk to your doctor and take it from there. Don't get swept up by what others think and feel. 

• We didn't, simply because of the price tag. SO keeps saying that we're going to get it done, but honestly, I'd rather wait until he can make that decision on his own (he's at that stage where he's discovering his parts, and I cringe at the thought of him grabbing his penis while it's healing).  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"